Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
awaiting my new one :?: and wondering.. does anyone have any experience using the 80% ethanol.. in the midwest.. corn belt,,,it's available.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Re: Gasahol

Way back in the '70s, around the time of the Arab oil embargos, Denver marketed gasahol for awhile. There were some problems encountered by those that tried it, mostly related to the alcohol attacking rubber hoses, desolving rusty sludge in the fuel tank, etc. Of course, cars had carburetors back then, and fuel filters weren't as efficient at removing gunk.

Anyway, as I recall, the alcohol dissolved some already age-weakened rubber fuel lines causing leaks, and the crud at the bottom of old gas tanks was put back into solution and clogged fuel filters and carburetor jets. I suspect that modern cars have overcome these problems by now.

On another note, gasahol didn't have the same octane rating as the leaded gasoline of the time, and engine knock was a real problem in high compression engines at Denver's altitude. Of course, most cars had V8s at the time, and muscle cars were still in their heyday. Electronic ignition and fuel injection would probably adjust for this today.

In any case, let us know how this fuel works out for you. It might be time to revisit this alternative fuel, now that gas prices are skyrocketing again. It's about $2.06/gallon in Phoenix today and headed up for the upcoming holiday and summer season. What's that for Prius owners, an extra dollar or two per tank -- BRING IT ON!

We need to get some Dr. Phil-type bumper stickers made, directed toward SUV owners: "$3/Gal -- So how's that working for ya?"

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Bruce Berry:

___Sorry in advance Bruce for going far OT

___Phoenix, in regards to your SUV bumper sticker and such Do you receive double what I have received in the MDX? GreenHybrid.com has the answer? If not, you may also not be receiving of what I drive as my daily commuter either? The Lux SUV gets driven ~ 10,000 miles per year whereas the Hybrid commuter will get 50,000 +. I would say you might be concerned with $3.00 fuel a bit more then this SUV owner is but who am I to say?

___Sorry for being a troll :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email:jomh3k26][email protected][/email:jomh3k26]

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
from page 203 of the 2004 Prius Owner's Manual:

"OXYGENATES IN GASOLINE
Toyota allows the use of oxygenate
blended gasoline where the oxygenate