Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking into the possiblity of getting a used 2005 Prius with 14,000 miles on and the dealer told me that the price for this car was the same as a new one?

Has anyone else heard this? To me, no used car is worth the same as a new one. Is this a case of the dealer sticking it to the people because they know that some idiot will pay?

Ken

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here's what a Boston-area dealer is asking for 2 2004';s I'm pretty sure they are base models:

Year Make Model Style Color Miles Stock Price

2004 Toyota Prius
4 Dr STD Hatchback Green 18,647 P7539 $24,995
2004 Toyota Prius
4 Dr STD Hatchback Silver 26,905 P7529 $24,995

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
kwe said:
Is this a case of the dealer sticking it to the people because they know that some idiot will pay?
Nothing new in that. How 'bout that free enterprise system! In this case the depreciation is perceived to be equal to the no-waiting premium.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I just priced my 2004 on Kelly Blue Book and the suggested retail price is $2000 more that what I paid for it in May 04.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's because of the demand. That's one of the reasons MSN money named prius best hatchback for resale value.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
If you were looking to sell a clean, relatively low mileage 04-... Prius, this market would be a very good for that.

I have visited the http://www.kbb.com/ and gotten details about my car, 05 purchased Dec 04 with about 7500 miles on it.

Trade-in value is $23,075
Private party is $25,160 (more than the price I paid less tax, license and service agreement)
Dealer starting MSRP $27,255 (rediculous)

By the numbers that means that the dealer would get $4,180 gross.

NADA doesn't even have number for the Prius yet.

Oh well, what a very strange vehicle market it is.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
hyperion said:
If you want to pop the bubble, take your 04 into a Toyota dealer and ask what he will give you in a trade for a standard deluxe Highlander
I will be picking up my 2006 Highlander Hybrid Ltd in 4 days. I traded my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee for the HH. The sales manager said that if I would trade my 04 Prius for it, he would give me $2000 above the KBB trade-in value. That would make it very close to what I paid for the car. Obviously I said no thank you. I'm not parting with the Prius.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
jeromep said:
By the numbers that means that the dealer would get $4,180 gross.

NADA doesn't even have number for the Prius yet.
What are you talking about?
http://www.nadaguides.com/uv/viewresult ... 1&wPg=2032

Ah, they don't have 2005. Just use 2004 to get in the ballbark.

Oh, and quoting a price on a Prius without its package is too broad. $24K for a 2005 package 6 isn't too bad (depending on mileage) but $24K for a package 1 is ridiculous.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Even in the '01 I've owned for about 30k miles now.... I was offered $19,500 for it a month or so ago. That was about $5,000 more than I paid for it used back when I got it.

·
Registered
919 Posts
My 2005 with side airbags and 5000 miles is listed on Kelly for $22,675. I paid $22,569. If I were to trade it in for a 2006, would the warranty transfer to the new model?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Interesting question. I would not think so but the warranty should follow the car and I think should be taken into consideration. My 04 has 10,000 miles on it. Is in immaculate condition. I bought the 7/75,000 platinum. Nary a chip in the paint and never been out of the garage overnight. Has every option but the nav pak ect; and it cost me 23,600. I was offered 19 for it by my local dealer on a trade for a new 05 Highlander (std) with all the goodies. I haven't checked with Ford yet on a trade for a standard Escape. Kelly BB lists mine at $20,775 for trading purposes but of course that is not what the dealers use.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
evander said:
My 2005 with side airbags and 5000 miles is listed on Kelly for $22,675. I paid $22,569. If I were to trade it in for a 2006, would the warranty transfer to the new model?
The standard warranty (3 yr / 36K) will stay with the car and a new owner would be covered for the remaining warranty. If you bought an extended warranty, it would be up to you to "cash it in" to get your remaining money back. It would not go with the car. That's how it works in the states I have lived in. I guess it could vary by other states...

·
Registered
919 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I assume the dealer would then make some deal on giving me cash back for extended or apply $ towards new one with a 2006. I doubt I'll trade in for newer car, but it does seem tempting considering rear camera, new colors, and maybe Nav second time around.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
evander said:
Thanks for the responses. I assume the dealer would then make some deal on giving me cash back for extended or apply $ towards new one with a 2006. I doubt I'll trade in for newer car, but it does seem tempting considering rear camera, new colors, and maybe Nav second time around.
My experiences with ending an extended warranty has been with the manufacturer, not the dealer for Jeep, and with the dealer for Ford. I don't know how Toyota handles it. In both cases, nothing was applied to the new car. The extended warranty cancellation was a seperate transaction that took a couple of months to get my money.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Thanks. Probably would be a good idea to read the small print on my warranty.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A week ago, I sold my 05 #2 10.7K miles, for 21.5K, paid MSRP 22,560.
Placed ad in Wash. D.C Post. Dealer offered 20K. I have a deposit for a 06.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i was planning on buying a used pri....but then the moment i'm ready.... the gas prices went up....so hence --so do the prices for prii.... i then decided to buy a new one in mid october.....so for the same price as the 2004s.....i got a new one with option 5 for $24k......& i'm totally happy~

didnt get the color i wanted (tideland pearl) ......but the red salsa has grown on my quite a bit...... not concerned about the 2006's......as this one has given me all & i want & more!!!!
:lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Prius market in Southern California is split. It's split between those in "the know", and those on "the list".

I guess if I wanted to take advantage of free enterprise, I could go into business!

I just spent a month shopping for a used Prius. Initially I wanted a used fully loaded 2005 with low mileage. But I found a beautiful classic for under $9000.

Depending on who you deal with you can purchase low mileage '04, and '05 models selling at a realistically depreciated value. Anywhere from $16,000 to $19,000 for under 40K miles, package 6. And immediately flip them and sell them to a poor anxious sap at $5,000 to $10,000 profit! That is what many private dealerships are doing right now.

Some dealerships are even inflating the price of a used Prius, because of the "demand". Every Toyota dealer was telling me that the HOV stickers were nearly out, (in CA), and I'd better hurry and buy now!! Phooey! I found that many Southern California dealers with an "allocation" simply hide their cars in the service department or an off-site warehouse, but they do indeed have inventory, especially if you offer to pay a markup fee above MSRP.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts