Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously looking at a used 2004 prius... 9000 miles, and its the base model package, it has no rear wiper.... but it does have the little microchip starting thing... Is that the smart start?

anyways... I'm seriously considering it, and the only thing holding me back is the rear wiper.... Do I need it? How useful is it in heavy rain? I've never had a rear window so sloped before.... I've never needed a rear wiper before because of the angle of the window and the speed you drive just sort of makes rain miss the rear windshield....
So how necessary is this rear wiper?

·
Registered
397 Posts
philosophile said:
I'm seriously looking at a used 2004 prius... 9000 miles, and its the base model package, it has no rear wiper.... but it does have the little microchip starting thing... Is that the smart start?
All '04s have the little microchip thingy. If the doors don't unlock when you approach this vehicle, without requiring any button pushing on your part, you don't have Smart Entry/Smart Start.

anyways... I'm seriously considering it, and the only thing holding me back is the rear wiper.... Do I need it? How useful is it in heavy rain? I've never had a rear window so sloped before.... I've never needed a rear wiper before because of the angle of the window and the speed you drive just sort of makes rain miss the rear windshield....
So how necessary is this rear wiper?
The rear window does indeed collect quite a bit of rain. I have the rear wiper and use it regulary, but I don't know if it's absolutley imperative. You might want to check with a local dealer to see if the rear wiper is something they could add for you later.
Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
The rear wiper is useful but not so much that I would base my decision on its presence or absence. The smart entry, on the other hand, is very useful, as well as other features absent in the base version. Don't pay too much for the car.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If this vehicle is from a rental agency, many of us have determined these vehicles come with what we have termed "Package 0" which is a package 1 minus the rear wiper. Effectively, the vehicle has none of the available optional equipment and also has the rear wiper deleted.

If this is what you want, fine. However you should look at the available options and see if you would rather find a vehicle with some of those features.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... the dealer said this is from a rental agency, it doesn't have the rear-wiper but does have the smart start system. So it doesn't fall under Package "0" since package 1 has only the rear-wiper.

The rear wiper cannot be installed as an option except from the factory... neither can airbags. but I'm not overly concerned about any of that stuff except for the rear-wiper, since I'll be commuting to a coastal area over a mountain that I'll expect will have lots of rain during the fall and winter months. So the rear windshield wiper does concern me.

I've got one person saying they use it often, and another saying its not imperative. Any more voices out there?

·
Registered
397 Posts
philosophile said:
Well... the dealer said this is from a rental agency, it doesn't have the rear-wiper but does have the smart start system. So it doesn't fall under Package "0" since package 1 has only the rear-wiper...
Not that it really matters, but I would be surprised if the vehicle you are considering has the smart entry/start system and no rear wiper. Below is a listing (from Toyota.com) of the different Prius option packages. As you will see, smart entry and start is a premium feature included with the most thoroughly equipped models. As I said, it doesn't really matter what options are on the car; if you like it and the price is acceptable to you then you should buy the car. I only include the following to help you determine exactly what you should be getting for your money.
Good luck,
Moo :)

RW Package #1 -- includes intermittent rear window wiper

GY Package #2 -- includes driver and front passenger seat-mounted side and front and rear side curtain airbags

AF Package #3 -- includes intermittent rear window wiper and driver and front passenger seat-mounted side and front and rear side curtain airbags

AG Package #4 -- includes intermittent rear window wiper, anti-theft system and auto-dimming electrochromic rearview mirror with HomeLink universal transceiver, and smart entry and start system

AI Package #5 -- includes intermittent rear window wiper, driver and front passenger seat-mounted side and front and rear side curtain airbags, anti-theft system and auto-dimming electrochromic rearview mirror with HomeLink universal transceiver, and JBL Premium 3-in-1 AM/FM Cassette/6-disc in-dash CD changer, nine speakers in seven locations and FM diversity reception

BI Package #6 -- includes intermittent rear window wiper, driver and front passenger seat-mounted side and front and rear side curtain airbags, and smart entry and start system

AM Package #7 -- includes intermittent rear window wiper; driver and front passenger seat-mounted side and front and rear side curtain airbags; smart entry and start system; and High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps, integrated fog lamps and Vehicle Stability Control (VSC)

BG Package #8 -- includes intermittent rear window wiper; smart entry and start system; JBL Premium 3-in-1 AM/FM Cassette/6-disc in-dash CD changer, nine speakers in seven locations and FM diversity reception; and voice-activated DVD navigation system with hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth TM technology

BC Package #9 -- includes intermittent rear window wiper; driver and front passenger seat-mounted side and front and rear side curtain airbags; anti-theft system and auto-dimming electrochromic rearview mirror with HomeLink universal transceiver; smart entry and start system; High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps, integrated fog lamps and Vehicle Stability Control (VSC); JBL Premium 3-in-1 AM/FM Cassette/6-disc in-dash CD changer, nine speakers in seven locations and FM diversity reception; and voice-activated DVD navigation system with hands-free phone capability via Bluetooth TM technology

·
Registered
884 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the rear window wiper. I have had several cars with them, and they are more trouble than they are worth. I'd get a bottle of Rain-X and use that once a month. You'll be happier, and you don't have to hunt for odd-sized wiper blades that you only need one of.

Rain-X works so good that you can drive a lot of the time without using the front wipers, either. The air flow from driving pushes the rain drops off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not that it really matters, but I would be surprised if the vehicle you are considering has the smart entry/start system and no rear wiper
Well... The car has a little black rectangle that you push into the car to start it. It's not a key in the traditional sense, but there is one in the rectangle that you can pull out of it. If this isn't the smart start, then what is it?

So its either custom, or package 0, or package 1/2 :)

Anyways... I still haven't put a bid in yet. I'm still rather torn about this wiper thing. heh. And the airbags. I know it doesn't have them, and I'd kinda like to have them. But then again.... having the car now would be nice too, so that I can start getting used to driving it, and not learn how to drive it when I start work again this fall (I teach), commuting 75 miles round trip... over a mountain. hmmm. [/b]

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
philosophile said:
Not that it really matters, but I would be surprised if the vehicle you are considering has the smart entry/start system and no rear wiper
Well... The car has a little black rectangle that you push into the car to start it. It's not a key in the traditional sense, but there is one in the rectangle that you can pull out of it. If this isn't the smart start, then what is it?

So its either custom, or package 0, or package 1/2 :)

Anyways... I still haven't put a bid in yet. I'm still rather torn about this wiper thing. heh. And the airbags. I know it doesn't have them, and I'd kinda like to have them. But then again.... having the car now would be nice too, so that I can start getting used to driving it, and not learn how to drive it when I start work again this fall (I teach), commuting 75 miles round trip... over a mountain. hmmm. [/b]
base package (no option packages).

Smart Entry & Smart Start = keyfob can stay in your purse or pocket. you approach the vehicle, don't reach for the fob, but just touch the door handle, and it unlocks. Sit in the driver's seat. Press the brake pedal and power button, car starts. you've never touched the fob.

Should the battery in your fob die, or you have the base 2004 Prius (not SE&SS), then you will have to put the fob into the dash to start the car. That's your rolling-ID engine immobilizer key. The only metal key is that safety one that opens the driver's door.

·
Registered
128 Posts
philosophile said:
As already stated, this is the standard key system, similar to one featured on BMW and other vehicles. The simple fact that you must insert it into the dash demonstrates it is not smart entry and start. This is simply the "key" technology that is use in this vehicle. Based on other reports of package "0's" I am positive you do not have this feature.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts