Toyota Prius Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
People your missing the point !!!! If you have a Navigation System then you have Voice command .............. You can enter addresses and all sorts of stuff with the voice commands.. "Help" is a really good one since it activates the Help screen in your nav system and shows you all the Commands for each system, NAVI, AUDIO, CLIMATE ( Except the Camry Hybrid) TELE and more.

If your one of the ones that want to "push button" everything then check out this link:

http://www.coastaletech.com/

They will hook you up with the system.

You have to understand that it is a Legal thing for Toyota!!!! I can see thousands and thousands of law suits against Toyota for millions and millions of dollars because some idiot was playing with his nav system and plowed into a crowed bus stop because he wasn't paying attention, Then he would blame Toyota for MAKING him buy a unit that made him not pay attention to the road and so it was Toyota fault and not his.......... You know it would happen!!! Think of the lady that sued McDonalds for the Coffee being too hot ....... that SHE spilled on herself!!!!

I don't blame Toyota one bit for trying to cover there butt's on this one. Anybody disagree????

Tom Q :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,166 Posts
TWQ83 said:
People your missing the point !!!! If you have a Navigation System then you have Voice command .............. You can enter addresses and all sorts of stuff with the voice commands.
You can't add addresses by voice on a 2004/2005. Voice commands are limited in vocabulary and accuracy in those MYs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
DanMan32 said:
TWQ83 said:
People your missing the point !!!! If you have a Navigation System then you have Voice command .............. You can enter addresses and all sorts of stuff with the voice commands.
You can't add addresses by voice on a 2004/2005. Voice commands are limited in vocabulary and accuracy in those MYs.
Absolutely Correct!!!! AND, for these people you have the "lock-pic". Not a whole lot of money to get the desired effect.

Plus something that you may not know is that the accuracy can be vastly improved by teaching your system. If you just quick push the voice command button it asks you for a command, right??? Well if you push and hold down the button for a 2 count .......... system goes into voice recognition mode to learn your accent and dialogue. Try it, it could improve your accuracy 83% ........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
TWQ83 said:
DanMan32 said:
TWQ83 said:
People your missing the point !!!! If you have a Navigation System then you have Voice command .............. You can enter addresses and all sorts of stuff with the voice commands.
You can't add addresses by voice on a 2004/2005. Voice commands are limited in vocabulary and accuracy in those MYs.
Absolutely Correct!!!! AND, for these people you have the "lock-pic". Not a whole lot of money to get the desired effect.

Plus something that you may not know is that the accuracy can be vastly improved by teaching your system. If you just quick push the voice command button it asks you for a command, right??? Well if you push and hold down the button for a 2 count .......... system goes into voice recognition mode to learn your accent and dialogue. Try it, it could improve your accuracy 83% ........
Thanks for info on voice recognition mode! I've never been able to successfully use voice commands, somtimes with a passenger I will try one so we can get a kick out of whatever it thinks (always WAY out there) I said. Never has worked for any member of my family - I chalked it up as a totally useless feature - now I think perhaps the previous owner, who was Russian, might have trained it to his accent.

I can't wait to try this out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
We looked at a Nissan Altima the other day. It too fetured a nav system you can use while driving, just like our Odyssey. Why should we have to buy a lock-pick? The "lawyer screen" when starting up should suffice.
It is a real pain and a demerit to to Toyota not to be able to use the nav system while driving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
With the newest (Gen 5 I believe), while you are on the highway with the NAV system directing you, there is a screen that shows the next 10 exits or so and each one shows what you will find at each exit (Gas, ATM, Restaurants etc.) and you can go to that exit and see all the businesses and click on each one to find out what each business is. This can all be done while moving and it was a big help on my recent trip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Per said:
We looked at a Nissan Altima the other day. It too fetured a nav system you can use while driving, just like our Odyssey. Why should we have to buy a lock-pick? The "lawyer screen" when starting up should suffice.
It is a real pain and a demerit to to Toyota not to be able to use the nav system while driving.
You might consider the possibility that Toyota's lawyers aren't so much concerned about the potential for suits against the company from driver/owners if they were allowed to mess with the Nav system in motion and were the cause of an accident, but the far greater potential for law suits from the victims of those incidents, citing Toyota for enabling the driver's negligence. Very expensive potential in this litigious society of ours.

Why Toyota seem to take a more defensive attitude in this respect than other manufacturers is anyone's guess, but clearly they think it's needed in this market. Bearing in mind that they don't absolutely prevent the owner from accessing full functionality, just ensure that it is a clear choice the owner takes in buying an add-on to do so (and thus significantly reduces Toyota's legal risk), I'd say they have struck the right balance from their corporate perspective while still allowing individual choice for those who want to make it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
The aftermarket ones do, but you have to acknowledge that you read the warning when you first power up (which actually will go away allowing you to proceed if you wait). At least with Garmin units.

With the prices vehicle makers charge for GPS, I've never bothered to order a car with it. Aftermarket is at least 1/3 as much or lower in cost, and usually works better. Updates are also about 1/2 the cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
ZA_Andy said:
Per said:
We looked at a Nissan Altima the other day. It too fetured a nav system you can use while driving, just like our Odyssey. Why should we have to buy a lock-pick? The "lawyer screen" when starting up should suffice.
It is a real pain and a demerit to to Toyota not to be able to use the nav system while driving.
You might consider the possibility that Toyota's lawyers aren't so much concerned about the potential for suits against the company from driver/owners if they were allowed to mess with the Nav system in motion and were the cause of an accident, but the far greater potential for law suits from the victims of those incidents, citing Toyota for enabling the driver's negligence. Very expensive potential in this litigious society of ours.

Why Toyota seem to take a more defensive attitude in this respect than other manufacturers is anyone's guess, but clearly they think it's needed in this market. Bearing in mind that they don't absolutely prevent the owner from accessing full functionality, just ensure that it is a clear choice the owner takes in buying an add-on to do so (and thus significantly reduces Toyota's legal risk), I'd say they have struck the right balance from their corporate perspective while still allowing individual choice for those who want to make it.
Such litigation can be very simply be taken care of by including a disclaimer in the start-up screen. By agreeing to the disclaimer, you hold Toyota harmless. Besides, how can anyone prove using the nav system caused the accident? Cell phones used in cars probably cause accidents every day, but you don't see the cell phone companies in a tizzy about it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Per said:
Such litigation can be very simply be taken care of by including a disclaimer in the start-up screen. By agreeing to the disclaimer, you hold Toyota harmless. Besides, how can anyone prove using the nav system caused the accident? Cell phones used in cars probably cause accidents every day, but you don't see the cell phone companies in a tizzy about it!
It isn't possible to use a disclaimer in the manner you suggest in third-party claims which, in effect, would seek to hold Toyota responsible for 'enabling' careless driving. It's a viable defense against suits by the driver who has had to 'accept' the disclaimer in order to use the system, but not a third-party victim.

There's a significant difference in a legal sense between the use of systems in-built into the vehicle and thus 'provided' by the manufacturer, and those brought into the vehicle by the vehicle's users. That's primarily why cell-phone companies are not, as you say, in a tizzy.

As I said, I am not sure why Toyota are somewhat more sensitive to this than other car manufacturers appear to be, but there is good legal reason why they should be sensitive to it in some degree.

It's really the fact that you generally can't prove culpability in an accident that means you also generally can't disprove it - hence the issue exists in the legal sense to begin with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
The burden of proof is lower in a civil case than a criminal case. You only have to prove that it is more likely to be true than not true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
So how many cases have actually occurred where someone has successfully won a damage claim because someone used the nav system and caused an accident?
Or are we talking the typical lawyer what-if case?

And does this mean that Toyota's lawyers are a lot smarter than Honda and Nissan lawyers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
I searched and searched and couldn't find any references to an accident or lawsuit pertaining to the use of a navigation system while driving. While this doesn't mean there aren't any, it does seem like a non-issue in the real world. I woudn't say the lawyers were smarter, just more cautious, perhaps overly so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
True, but Toyota doesn't sell cell phones. Also, they went out of their way to limit how you can use the hands free BT feature while moving as well. That seems consistent with their nav paranoia.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
teaching the voice recognition system

[quote="TWQ83"
Plus something that you may not know is that the accuracy can be vastly improved by teaching your system. If you just quick push the voice command button it asks you for a command, right??? Well if you push and hold down the button for a 2 count .......... system goes into voice recognition mode to learn your accent and dialogue. Try it, it could improve your accuracy 83% ........[/quote]


I tried this on our 2008 Prius and holding down the "voice command" button on the steering wheel did nothing. Is there some other way to enter the teach mode.

John
 
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Top