Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the status of proposed legislation to increase the tax deduction for owners of hybrids to $4,000 (retroactively) and other possible incentives to produce and purchase hybrid vehicles? :?:

·
Registered
40 Posts
energy legislation

As of Monday afternoon, the House-Senate conference has not finished. There are a bunch of issues still to be resolved.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
As a tax payer I do not like the hybrid incentive tax, as you are just benefiting the Honda and Toyota motor companies. What should bring you the incentive is a car which "AVERAGES" at least 40MPG.
Their may be a better auto energy system out there and I would not like it to be overlooked by an incentive for hybrids only.
You could put it in the form of a sliding scale. More tax relief for a car driven at the same performance figures on electricity alone, ect;

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
As a taxpayer and a breather of air, I like the incentive. We all pay, through health care costs, for dirty air. If a domestic manufacturer misses the market and doesn't qualify, I don't want to breath dirtier air just because of their shortsightedness.

·
Registered
59 Posts
hyperion said:
As a tax payer I do not like the hybrid incentive tax, as you are just benefiting the Honda and Toyota motor companies. What should bring you the incentive is a car which "AVERAGES" at least 40MPG.
Their may be a better auto energy system out there and I would not like it to be overlooked by an incentive for hybrids only.
You could put it in the form of a sliding scale. More tax relief for a car driven at the same performance figures on electricity alone, ect;
It only benefits them because they were bold enough to take a risk, while the American auto companies weren't brave enough to do the same until they saw the hybrids sell well. A case of johnny come lately if you will.

What is your opinion of the other industries that get tax breaks?

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
You Two guys failed to read my post fully. No where did I specify American manufacturers. I stipulated every other car manufacturer in the world. You have one track minds.
I feel that hybrids may just not be the most efficient and are certainly so far the most expensive alternative. You want the IRS to give a tax encentive to a buyer for a Lexas and a Highlander just cause those owners are seeking more horsepower at the wheels?
I still believe the incentive should be for higher milage, more oil savings and less pollution. The Lexas, Highlander and Accord do only one of these.
The new Saturn ecotec engines will emit less pollution than the hybrids in the V6's in Highlander, Lexas and Honda.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Raising CAFE standards and applying them to light trucks would be far more helpful than a hybrid tax adjustment, which amounts to a subsidy for people with money (gosh, what surprise that such a thing would come from this government). A serious sensible energy policy will not happen while energy company henchmen such as "Smokin' Joe" Barton (R-TX) are in office.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Do you still give a tax break when the hybrid is used for power and not economy? Some new hybrids will give 24-26 MPG, 3 or 4 better than the non-hybrid version of the same vehicle, but with more kick. I agree that if you are going to incent fuel economy, it should be on the numbers (MPG or emissions) and not on wheather it has an electrical motor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
tax incentives

The House-Senate conference committee has come to agreement on an energy bill. It contains over a billion dollars in tax incentives for hybrid vehicles and alternative fuels. But I can't yet find an info on how the tax incentive for hybrid vehicles would work.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I agree with you Hyperion that incentives should be used to help create a market for things that benefit society. I can accept incentives for MPG ratings to get people to stop buying gas guzzlers.

There are far too many tax incentives. It is social engineering run amok. Subsidies, tax breaks, deductions...it's all a form of welfare. Our collective tax dollars redirected to others depending on their behavior. Buy a house instead of renting (tax break) Hire a minority firm (tax break) Don't plant so much corn (tax break)....It goes on and on.

Just lower my taxes and let me spend my money as I see fit. Use tax breaks to help "nudge" people into new and helpful technology. Then end it. If the technology cannot support itself, well, let it die a natural death. Too much stuff is on Gov't life support (Mohair subsidies comes to mind)

A small example, my mother's house has an A/C unit that is at least 17 yrs old. It cools her house so why should she replace it. She could probably save 20-30 dollars in electricity per month, but to do that, she would have to spend $1500-$2000 all at once. Giving her a write off might nudge her to move to more efficient technology that would reduce consumption.

On the other hand, I was looking to buy a new car. Those hybrids look nice but, doggone it, they are expensive. Wow, look at that, a tax incentive, well, I'll just get one then.

Just because we can afford to be wasteful, doesn't mean we SHOULD.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Just a re-reminder that the hybrid carpool lane issue arises not only from mileage, but from low emissions as well (which is the sole reason they exist in SoCal).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Analysts: Bill won’t wean U.S. off foreign oil

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8705656/

some quickies:

No new fuel-efficiency standards

The legislation would create billions of dollars' worth of tax breaks and other federal subsidies to encourage oil and gas production, to reduce pollution at coal-burning power plants, and to "encourage energy conservation."

The bill also would require the use of billions of gallons of ethanol and other fuels derived from agricultural products.

ANWR drilling remains on the table

The Senate version of the legislation calls for tax breaks for hybrid vehicles

Only the senate version has continued tax breaks for hybrid vehicles. The final version may not.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Really interesting article. So the maximum use of enthonol will reduce our oil consumption by 0.8 percent. Marvelous. It's fairly obvious oil is what drives our economy and until the oil barons have left Washington we will see little change.
I had not heard of any carpool lanes open in California for any hybrid single passenger cars. And I further resent any hybrid incentives by the U.S. government for any hybrids which are not high milage. Let the Lexas and Highlander hybrid owners drive their forty thousand dollar cars but restrict any incentives to 40 mpg plus vehicles.
I think the senate should know where this "luxury" incentive is going!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think that rather than increasing MPG standards, they should raise the tax on fuel. That would let the market dictate how best to conserve it. The price of gas is currently artificially low anyway, since income taxes pay for wars to protect the oil supply and for the subsidies to oil companies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why don't we all try driving a little bit slower? Even in a Prius, I can get darn close to the EPA 51mpg highway while driving 65mph instead of the 75mph limit. At 75mph, the Prius highway mileage drops to about 48mpg.

I still want to get a Highlander Hybrid - still saving $$$ for a big down. Yes, the extra power will be nice for the few times I would really need it but if driven carefully, I would hope to get close to the EPA mileage on that vehicle too.

As for tax breaks for hybrids, I'm all for any "benny" I can get if it is fair. One of my co-workers rides a bicycle to work. He uses no gasoline and will probably live a healthier life (less of a hit to healthcare) but he gets no tax break for saving energy.

Just a few thoughts.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Yes, but how fair is it to the American taxpayer to pay for the "bennys" for hybrids that are not high milage vehicles. Most all of the new engines manufactured today are extremely low emmission and that's a plus. Now we should engineer for milage and the new variable valve timed engines are heading in that direction.
Living in Utah I can see where you can get some use out of the SUV Highlander but on the streets of L.A.?
However, and I agree with you that high speeds demand a lot of gas, just how popular do you think a 55mph speed limit would be in Utah. We had one president practically lose his job on account of this. (regardless of the hostages and olympics)
The American driver is a bored driver interested in getting there in the fastest time frame and if you get in my way I might possibly shoot you. Just check out the amount of vehicle cell phone use and the complete lack of attention shown by drivers at high rates of speed on the freeways. All rushing for "roll-overs" and "tree bashings" Police reports either mention liquor, or extreme rates of speed with a lot of cell phone use thrown in.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The point to the incentives is to reduce the hybrid premium. If someone is going to get a Highlander or Lexus anyway, I'd rather it be a hybrid one. If he didn't get the incentive, he wouldn't go for the hybrid version.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts