Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Canada we must have day time running lights as well as km/hour as the readout on the dash.

Can a US model be modified to allow this? Is it costly. Is there an online primer on how to do these modifications.

I assume the Km/hour instead of MPH is just a programming job. I have seen a NY US Sienna with daytime running lights and assumed the Prius was similar but I have reads posts that suggest otherwise. I am interested in importing a US model (base) Prius to Canada and am wondering if the vehicle can meet canadian (Transport Canada).

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
You can change the speedo to read km/h but that's about it. The odo, trip odo and temperature readings will be in imperial

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
You would need a retrofit to get DRLs. If you have halogen lamps, that might not be so hard. If you have HIDs, you might be able to take advantage of the fog lams.
Someone mentioned an aftermarket mod that made use of the cornering (parking) lamps for DRL. Nobody has responded what Canada will officially accept for DRL for a personal import.

Imperial is european gallons. US gallons are a bit different.
There's no way to change the display to 100KM/L if that's what you're really after. You can change the NAV though to KM.

·
Registered
236 Posts
David Duchesne said:
In Canada we must have day time running lights as well as km/hour as the readout on the dash.

Can a US model be modified to allow this? Is it costly. Is there an online primer on how to do these modifications.

I assume the Km/hour instead of MPH is just a programming job. I have seen a NY US Sienna with daytime running lights and assumed the Prius was similar but I have reads posts that suggest otherwise. I am interested in importing a US model (base) Prius to Canada and am wondering if the vehicle can meet canadian (Transport Canada).

I've never understood the importance of daytime running lights when all you have to do is just turn your headlights on all the time if it is that important to you, and apparently to Canada.

I figured that is why many vehicles have the automatic light shut off when you turn off and exit the vehicle. Then when you start the vehicle back up again, the lights come back on.

In my Volvo 240 I drove with my headlights on for about 2 1/2 years straight. Not because I was worried about people seeing me in tricky shadowed areas where the famous daytime running lights were born, but because with the Xenon HID headlights and the thick plastic headlight covers on the 240s, it just looked cool. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
We imported a 2008 Prius into Canada with HID DRLs. As far as I know, all US Prius DRLs work the same way. At the RIV office, we were pressured to go to one particular shop to get our inspection done, since it had done other Priuses. However it was too far away and on top of that, we were told that we'd need to spend $400 to change the DRL system over to Canadian standards, which seemed pretty steep since other internet posts have shown that the conversion is actually incredibly simple. We were also worried about having anything changed on the car because of warranty issues. We went to a local Canadian Tire instead. We had our DRLs on when we showed up, and the inspector was fine with the way the DRLs operated. I doubt that he had ever inspected a Prius before, as we don't see any in our area.

My impression is that different inspectors have different interpretations of the RIV standards and perhaps we were lucky that we did not have to change a single thing on the car.

We have had servicing done at the local Toyota dealership and they did not have any issues with its origin. It is a Japanese car, not and American car so really there should be no problem.

Importing the car was a huge pain but we love the car and it was worth it! During the import process, Toyota Canada was very snotty to us though, so as soon as other hybrid makes come out, we will look into those. Saab should have one out soon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: US prius importation to Canada?

I am curious as to how you bought drl's on a US prius. My basic package 2005 prius had to be modified in Canada to have drl's. After paying $300. the canadian tire inspector did not even look at them. The drl modification died 1 year later. The toyota dealer who did it refused to fix the problem but reffered me to a local Halifax dealer who said they could do it for $100- all new parts as the previous modification was not able to be fixed...

How was toyota canada snotty to you? I am curious how they are trying to discourage canadians from buying US prius's and saving a bundle. I thought that 2008 were not importable- to canada- because of some needed modification with the security features which toyota canada refused to specify as to how to meet canadian transport canada standards- I say this on tv a few months ago.

I found the foreign registry hassles well worth the $6000. I saved. Now you even get $2000 back from the canadian federal goverment ( I believe this is still available even if you buy it in the US) Please correct me if I am mistaken.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts