Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: Where in the manual can I find the mileage the upper air filter is to be changed? I am at 10,k miles and changed the lower one 2 times.
Yes! dirty air in the area I live.

Thank You.
Tony Lisico

·
Registered
12 Posts
Which "upper" air filter are you speaking of? The main air filter is in the black box above the engine. On the '04s, this lid has a filter-like thing in it. Is this what you're referring to? I don't think it needs to be replaced. Given that it is fused to the top case, it sure doesn't look like it is supposed to.

As I understand it, this top thing is to capture fuel vapors, and isn't really a filter.

Dave

·
Registered
112 Posts
I heard it's for fuel vapor too. Help reduce emissions even more. If you are worried about emissions, blow the unit out with air. the cleaner things are, the easier air flows.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
Tony Liscio said:
:?: Where in the manual can I find the mileage the upper air filter is to be changed? I am at 10,k miles and changed the lower one 2 times.
Yes! dirty air in the area I live.

Thank You.
Tony Lisico
<scratching head> I've only seen two air filters mentioned for regular maintenance in the Prius Passport to Performance (scheduled maintenance guide). One is the engine air filter, and the other is the passenger cabin AC filter.
Depending on which model year you have, and what country you're in, they've got different replacement times, strangely enough... I take it that you follow the compressed "Special Operating Conditions" schedule for either short trips, or driving in dusty areas.

US Prius Passport to Performance guides are here: http://www.toyotapartsandservice.com/sm ... icle=Prius

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Upper engine air filter 2004 Prius Tideland Pearl#7

Yes, it is incased in the Engine Air Filter Cover. seperate upper air filter part no. 17812-2120. lower engine air filter part no.17801-21040.
2months after I took delivery of my 2004 Prius,I was told the upper filter is full of carbon crystals. How can you clean that? Does it need replaced and when?
Thanks,
Tony Liscio

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
"Carbon crystals?"

Aren't those what we typically call... um..."diamonds?"

If your Pius is making diamonds, I'd be sure to learn how to change that filter myself!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Upper engine air filter 2004 Prius Tideland Pearl#7

My Error: Charcoal not carbon. Like the stuff for cooking out. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Come to think of it, it would be completely normal for a vapor canister to be filled with charcoal granules.

What prompted dealer #1 to make this observation, anyway? Are you having symptoms of a problem? Did someone get frustrated with the lack of user-serviceable parts and tear apart this filter looking for something to work on?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looking at this filter, it obviously isn't intended to be removed. You have to break the plastic pieces to get it out.

Having charcol in it would be what I would expect, given that it is supposed to absort fuel vapors. I suspect this mechanic is trying to pull one over on you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts