Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Toyota dealer I take my Prius to did a minor servicing a few months ago and left the car, with windows rolled down, out in the parking lot during a sand storm. The result was not pretty! So the service manager gave me a coupon for a free detailing of the entire car (very nice!). When I went in for my 30k service check up i presented the coupon and they included the free detailing in that visit. When the car came back from the detailers the upholstry was ruined! The detailers did not know how to treat microfiber, and they took detergent and a stiff brush to it. The entire interior fabric, including console and arm rests, looked like a cat had gone wild in there...there were marks all over every fabric service. The service manager immediately admitted that this was a disaster, but it took about a month of them negotiating with the detail company, to come up with a go-ahead to repair the upholstry. They replaced every seat cover in the car, the console, and all four side panels (they could not just replace the arm rest...Toyota sent the inside door panels with arm rests to replace the old panels). Total cost (the cost on the invoice: $5,700, includes new Scotsguarding too). I did not have to pay anything, and was given a free loaner car for the many days it was out to be re-upholstered. BOTTOM LINE: MAKE SURE YOUR DETAILER KNOWS HOW TO TREAT MICROFIBER!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I had mine done, and it turned out fine. I think they used a soft brush on a steam cleaner. Nice and clean, and pretty. Local car wash guys, and they always do a good job. Ok, so sometimes a new guy cannot get the car started. But they're getting used to it. :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Wow, what a horror story! I guess I was lucky. I had treated my '04 with a canned Scotch-Guard product when I first bought it. It kept the interior fairly nice, but when I went to sell it after two and a half years, I thought it needed a little freshening up. So I used an upholstery cleaner in an aeresol can, which I just sprayed on and wiped with a towel. Other than having to smooth out the nap afterward, I had no problems whatsoever. As I said, I was lucky! Glad I got the leather on my '06.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
richard schumacher said:
Be gentle. People have removed chocolate and lipstick from it with a damp sponge.
Yup, that's how I've gotten chocolate out. Also, I have one of those little "green machine" carpet/upholstery cleaners. Squirts warm water, and sucks it up, along with the ick. Works great, and no damage. I didn't stain guard the seats when i got it, but that's not been an issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
And blood, too

Showing off my Prius last weekend, but didn't notice that my uncle had scraped his elbow playing football. He put it right down on the center console. Luckily, we had some hydrogen peroxide, so we put a little on a napkin and it came right out.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I know people have commented that the upholstery seemed to look bad when cleaned, especially when it was still wet, but then realized it was the way the napp laid. After letting it dry, and brush the upholstery in one direction, everything was fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.