Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to go with the cheapest package, because frankly my bank account couldn't take the hit. But are there cheap alternative upgrades for the prius where you can do it yourself? For example, the smart key system, bluetooth, and car alarm. I'm a tech junkie. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
44 Posts
According to the brochure; you can't upgrade to Bluetooth or NAV from a lower package. It is possible to upgrade the CD player.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There are aftermarket Nav and Bluetooth systems for considerably less than factory, although not intergated with the factory display.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I got a package without the Navigation, and got a Garmin Streetpilot c330. It isn't integrated with the built-in touch screen but it works well and I can move it to one of our other cars which has proven useful. I don't leave it attached to the windshield because I'm afraid it might get stolen.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
You can add the dimming homelink mirror, and an add-on CD changer.
You can also have the alarm you really already have but Toyota woudl claim you didn't pay for turned on.

It is not cost effective to add SKS, VSC, extra airbags or HID. Although fog lamps are not officially an add-on, I can't see why they can't be added on with a separate non-oem method of turning them on.

As mentioned, there are third-party external NAV systems you can get. Bluetooth would be more difficult, but a headset might actually reduce microphone noise.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I second the Garmin c330...yesterday my wife was craving Quiznos, and I only knew of two...one was closed on Sundays, the other was about 4 miles away. So, just to see, we entered "Quiznos" in the c330 and the unit brought us to one within 1 mile of our house that I didn't know existed!

You already have the alarm system, but my dealer charges about $250 to turn the damn thing on.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Souliloquy said:
I wonder if there's a way you can turn on the alarm system yourself
Nope, you need the scanner. At least there's no documented method.
There is a method to change from Active mode alarm to Passive, and back again, but the alarm has to have been enabled in the first place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts