Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The higher gas prices are, the more serious the questions my wife and I get about our Prius. So Lauren was all prepared to give the spiel yesterday when a woman at the farmer’s market approached her. The woman said she was shopping for a new car, was interested in getting a Toyota, and wondered what this was.

“It’s a Prius,” said my wife.

[Blank look]

“It’s a hybrid.”

[Blank look continued]

It turned out the woman had never heard of Prii or even hybrids. She was completely uninterested in fuel economy or emissions - all that interested her was that it was a Toyota, and it was a hatchback.

My wife is more diplomatic than I am - I probably would have blurted out something like, "what, have you been living in a shoebox?" :)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Toyota needs the Prius to be good enough to win over people, like this, who don't care about the wing-dings and save-the-earth. I think they have mostly done that. A nice, comfortable, Toyota-reliable, hatchback that seats five. Hope she buys one and learns what a smart buy it was. :)

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
When I look at people I know personally that have Prii, and those that I just encounter every now and then, I can't classify most of them into the tree-hugger category. Most of the time they are value oriented buyers who found the Prius to meet or exceed their needs for a price they were willing to deal with. The added benefits of the vehicle which they did not even consider when making their purchase are a nice plus, but not a breaking condition of their purchase.

I think Toyota is already making inroads in this category of buyer because of the competitive price, competitive performance, stellar fuel economy and overall package of the car. It helps to have some nice toys inside the cabin which many of their other vehicles in the same price range do not have.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Worked with a PA student the other day who'd never heard of the Prius, had no idea what a hybrid was...she thought the car looked nice based on the computer pictures tho'.

It's weird, I hardly know where to start with someone like that. I usually just mention my gas mileage and see if they 'take the bait'. I just can't believe that educated people today have missed each and every commercial on TV and magazine article and news paper article that's been written, particularly over the past 2 years, on hybrids. There are certainly things I'm ignorant of, no doubt about it, but it usually surrounds the paternity and sex of supermodel XYZ's baby...stuff I'm happy to be ignorant of.

People like this vote and help elect our rulers...it scares the hell out of me.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
efusco said:
Worked with a PA student the other day who'd never heard of the Prius, had no idea what a hybrid was...she thought the car looked nice based on the computer pictures tho'.

It's weird, I hardly know where to start with someone like that. I usually just mention my gas mileage and see if they 'take the bait'. I just can't believe that educated people today have missed each and every commercial on TV and magazine article and news paper article that's been written, particularly over the past 2 years, on hybrids. There are certainly things I'm ignorant of, no doubt about it, but it usually surrounds the paternity and sex of supermodel XYZ's baby...stuff I'm happy to be ignorant of.

People like this vote and help elect our rulers...it scares the hell out of me.
A scarey number of people won't learn about hybrids in general and the Prius specifically until there are TV commercials on prime time. Many don't read anything, and don't even watch TV news. Now when Toyota catches up on making the things and need to start running ads during Will and Grace, they will start noticing.

And yes, they vote. Witness the last election. :(

·
Registered
581 Posts
Interestingly, I have now noted an embarrassing LACK of TV commercials. I think that I have noted only 3 that were Toyota hybrids, and only one that discussed Prius at all! Last night, while watching the Science Channel, I nearly missed the HSD commercial, only catching the closing 1/2 second in which 'HSD' placard was displayed.

My neighbor with the Lincoln Navigator was interested in the Prius due to its interior room, MPG, and the fact that it was a hatchback!!

Hello, all you other carmakers:

People want/need the utility of a hatchback!!!!!!!

<clunk ...falling off my soapbox :lol: >

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I have a humorous relationship with the salesman who sold me my Prius a year and a half ago. He is still interested in how I like the car whenever I stop by for my free car washes.
One thing of interest. They sell every Prius they are alloted but they have never sold one to Toyota employee at their dealership.
As for knowing what a Prius is. I have found very few who have heard of the car or that even understand what a "hybrid" is.
Of course, this is not California

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
hyperion said:
Would you want it to be? I sure wouldn't, speaking of my neck of the woods. It is bad enough that Western Washington is like California, the last thing I want is for my rural Eastern Washington to turn into California like the West half of the state.

There is plenty of ignorance here also, but in a rural environment people seem more focused on just surviving than on personal enlightenment.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Mike, I've seen that same commercial several times today. Maybe Toyota is ratcheting up the marketing.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Mike, I've seen that same commercial several times today. Maybe Toyota is ratcheting up the marketing.

.............................Why pay to do that when they can't supply todays or tomorrows demand?..............

...........................................................................................................

·
Registered
215 Posts
re: Hyperion

FREE CAR WASHES?

Did I miss something in the warranty? Why are you getting free car washes? And, how many and with what frequency? Are we ALL supposed to be getting these???

Anxiously awaiting your response...

marlowe

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: re: Hyperion

marlowe7 said:
FREE CAR WASHES?

Did I miss something in the warranty? Why are you getting free car washes? And, how many and with what frequency? Are we ALL supposed to be getting these???

marlowe
Gee, hyperion, you probably better keep quiet about the massages! :wink:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Re: re: Hyperion

coloradospringsprius said:
marlowe7 said:
FREE CAR WASHES?

marlowe
Gee, hyperion, you probably better keep quiet about the massages! :wink:
At my age, the REALLY upsetting thing is: if they offered me either massages or car washes... I would take the car washes :shock: :( !?!

·
Registered
10 Posts
jeromep said:
hyperion said:
Would you want it to be? I sure wouldn't, speaking of my neck of the woods. It is bad enough that Western Washington is like California, the last thing I want is for my rural Eastern Washington to turn into California like the West half of the state.

There is plenty of ignorance here also, but in a rural environment people seem more focused on just surviving than on personal enlightenment.

Please stop with this California bashing as if were all the same! I for one...damn late for my yoga class. I'll only have enough time to slap on one of my magnetized HOV stickers. Later dudes.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Marlowe, I have found that my present Toytota dealer is far superior to any car dealer of any brand that I have found in the past fifty years. Free car washes (limit, 2 per/mo) for the life of the car, $18.00 oil,lube, and filter changes (3,000 mile limits) for the life of the car. To the minute reservation times for any service needed, but what I really like is the lube line where two cars can be done at the same time and a walkway separated from the car by a pipe banister is provided so that you can watch everything done to your car and ask questions of the tech while your car is up on the lift. These services are provided for every car this dealer sells.
These washes are a godsend in the winter months after one of our snow, sand, and salt storms here in the northeast.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Now treatment like that would have me feel better (though still not excusable) for charging me $4K premium. It would also have helped if they clearly disclosed this premium. As it is, the dealer service department are cheapskates. When I asked to have the alignment checked because I thought it pulled when braking, they only checked for pull by roadtest. No alignment check was done, or at least the results not reported. They 'compromised' on charging me $35 to set the alarm to passive mode, because it supposedly took them 2 hours to do it, and they hadn't informed me of the cost. It SHOULD have taken them 5 minutes tops, and should have done it out of courtesy.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
4K over MSRP. It was not clearly disclosed. I should have detected it since the total vehicle price seemed high, but I attributed it to add-ons that I would not be able to remove, and he said other dealers were charging 3K more but this dealer wasn't. I never saw the sticker addendum, nor was it given to me after I bought the car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts