Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I drive with people in the back seat, they go to open the door, and it won't open after the car is shut off.

I have to electronically "pop" the locks for them, or else they have to "finger" the mechanical lock rocker.

Is there any way I can make the car either unlock all doors when the driver opens his door, or can I allow any door to unlock itself when the car is off and the person seated at that door attempts to open it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
naterprius over at PriusChat built his own device. You can buy it from him. PM him

·
Registered
736 Posts
locking

I think you can have the dealer remedy your problem. I didn't like the idea of having to hit the remote twice to unlock all the doors, so they re-programmed the system to work with one click from the remote. Now all the doors lock and unlock together.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I feel just the opposite. I feel much safer knowing that only my door is going to open (unless I want the rest open). That way, if I am by myself and feel unsafe, I can hop in quickly and not worry that all the doors are unlocked until I get inside to lock them again.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'm with Sanny on this one. And conversely, I don't like cars that automatically lock me in, so my Prius with SKS is perfect!

I have to say, I don't carry passengers in the back seat very often, so I haven't run into what the original poster complained about. It almost sounds as if the child safety feature is on (assuming Prius has one).

·
Registered
736 Posts
Locks

My apologies regarding my earlier post. I was thinking of unlocking from outside, and the original poster was talking about rear passengers trying to open doors from the inside. On my car, even with the reprogramming I mentioned earlier, if the doors are locked, I have to press the unlock button before rear doors can be opened from the inside. They do not unlock when the driver's door is opened. Child safety locks are manual switches in each door, accessible only when the door is open. If they are engaged, the doors can only be opened from the outside.
I understand the concerns regarding all doors unlocking at once, but I usually have items to put in the rear seat area, so I like having access to all doors by touching one of the front door handles.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Locks

Roger V said:
My apologies regarding my earlier post. I was thinking of unlocking from outside, and the original poster was talking about rear passengers trying to open doors from the inside. On my car, even with the reprogramming I mentioned earlier, if the doors are locked, I have to press the unlock button before rear doors can be opened from the inside. They do not unlock when the driver's door is opened. Child safety locks are manual switches in each door, accessible only when the door is open. If they are engaged, the doors can only be opened from the outside.
I understand the concerns regarding all doors unlocking at once, but I usually have items to put in the rear seat area, so I like having access to all doors by touching one of the front door handles.
This is correct. I'd like my passengers to be able to just open the doors for easy egress when the car is "off". As it is now, I have to thumb the "unlock" button, or they are forced to flip the rocker switch on each door...and nobody ever thinks of that these days!

Although if the doors were to all unlocked simultaneously when I open the driver's door, I wouldn't mind that. I'm forever fogetting to unlock the back doors, and I always seem to have to re-open the driver's door and hit the "unlock" button just so that I can open the driver's side rear door to get my laptop, coffee thermos, or other things out. (I don't always use the hatchback for these types of things).

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I am a bit confused here. The Prius does not lock the doors by itself, unless you installed Coastal's auto-lock mod which locks the doors when you exceed I think 10MPH.

If you don't have the mod, the rear doors had to be originally unlocked or else they would not have been able to get in in the first place. So unless you or your front passenger locked all the doors, the doors would have remained unlocked. If the child safety is enabled however, then the inside latches are disabled no matter the state of the locks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Back door child protect lock switch

The problem with back seat passengers not being able to get out is because the child unlock protect switch is set to prevent opening the door from the inside. There is a little switch on the back of the rear doors which enables you to enable/disable this feature.

We had it disabled until just recently when our 2 year old grandson opened the rear door from his car seat while the car was moving. So, its okay to disable this feature if you never carry little kids - but we're glad it's there.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the coastal mod. I got it to prevent outsiders from opening any doors, and it works great for this.

But I'd like to know if there's any way to unlock all of the doors when the car is "off" and I open the driver's door. As I said earlier, I never remember to hit the "unlock" button. So my passengers are briefly trapped, and/or I have to re-open my drivers door to hit the unlock button to access either rear side door.

So the doors are always locked when I stop the car. That's fine, but when I open my door, I'd like all doors to automatically unlock...kind of like what happens when you open the rear hatch with smart-access; all doors unlock. "pop", and they're all unlocked.

·
Registered
736 Posts
locking

Bif,
So it would seem that a further modification is needed to the original Coastal Mod which automatically locks all doors. Some conventional luxury cars have a factory installed system that will unlock all doors when the car is placed in park, or when the drivers door is opened, etc. Sounds like this is what you are looking for, and maybe Coastal can tell you how to do it.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
That's a very interesting idea. I know Nate over at PriusChat was developing an auto lock system that would lock the doors after 30 seconds or so after you powered down, opened a door and then closed it. Now that I think of it, he may have the auto unlock in that.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: locking

Roger V said:
Bif,
So it would seem that a further modification is needed to the original Coastal Mod which automatically locks all doors. Some conventional luxury cars have a factory installed system that will unlock all doors when the car is placed in park, or when the drivers door is opened, etc. Sounds like this is what you are looking for, and maybe Coastal can tell you how to do it.
Yes, this is what I'm looking for! It would be a Godsend! I will talk to Dave's office and see what ideas they have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts