Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to program the HomeLink buttons on my 2006 Package 5 Prius but the instructions in the book don't seem to correspond to my car. I'm supposed to hold the controller close to the HomeLink buttons and then hold both down for 20 seconds, after which they'll blink. But no matter how long I hold down the button in the car rear view mirror, it never blinks, just stays a solid red. I've tried pressing my garage door remote before, at the same moment as, and after the HomeLink button, tried different positions. I've tried using an X-10 controller. But no matter what I try, it doesn't do anything.

My garage door controller is a rolling code, so I would have to do the training thing afterwards, but since I can't get through the first step, I can't even start that step.

Anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Try doing a full erase.

Erasing the entire HomeLink memory (all three programs)
To erase all previously programmed codes
at one time, press and hold down the 2
outside buttons for 20 seconds until the
indicator light flashes.

If you sell your vehicle, be sure to erase
the programs stored in the HomeLink memory.

Programming may take more than 20 seconds. Try 40 seconds or until it starts blinking rapidly.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
After your run through the routine of holding the remote near the Homelink, etc. then you have to push the program button on the opener itself. You have 30 seconds to go back and hold in the Homelink button you want to program. It's explained in the Prius owners manual.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
don't you have to press the red TEST button at the back of the garage door um... engine mount on the ceiling?

Try the method for rolling code/canadian garage door openers in the manual.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Tideland Prius said:
don't you have to press the red TEST button at the back of the garage door um... engine mount on the ceiling?
That is the button I was refering to. The "opener" is the electric motor and controls that open the door. The button may be on the back or side of the opener, depending on make and model.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
If you have a rolling code door opener it is going to be a 2 person operation. One to program the car and another to program the opener. The instructions in the manual are correct, however for more assistance go to http://www.homelink.com/

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me be more specific about what I've tried.

The manual says to program a rolling code opener you need to do the "normal" programming of the opener, have it fail, then do the thing with the button on the door opener itself. The "normal" programming doesn't work. I press the button and no matter how long I hold it, it stays red, never blinks, never. Doesn't matter if I press the button on the remote before, during, or after, or never at all, or where I hold it. Just solid red forever. So I never get to move on to the next step where I press the button on the garage door opener itself.

When I try the same thing with an X-10 controller, the same nothing happens. Light stays red forever.

Incidentally, and I forgot to mention this in my first post, trying to do the reset also just leads to red light forever.

Is there something more than "hold in the button" to get past the red light staying solid forever, so it does like the manual says it does and blinks eventually?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Make sure you clear the Homelink before trying any programming. I originally had the same problem after installing new openers. Once I cleared the Homelink, all went well. I also had to clear the Homelink in my new Highlander Hybrid before programming, and that one had never been programmed before.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, if pressing the 2 outside buttons doesn't cause the red light to flash indicating a reset/erase, either you're counting to 40 too fast thus not holding down long enough, or the mirror is defective.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally got the rest to work, but going by the time counting down on the song that was playing at the time, it took 57 seconds. I suppose when the book said 20, they were thinking of some value of 20 I had not encountered previously.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Now that I am home, I played with my spare buttons. Even without the garage door remote, the light will start blinking slow after pressing the button for 20 or so seconds. If it trains correctly, it will then blink fast.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts