Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first joined the Forum I was able to view/download jpg attachments from its postings. Soon, however, I found I could no longer do it and that is the case to this day a year or so later. Can anyone advise me on this? I run W98SE + Firefox (latest v.)

Ken Herrick

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, as far as I know; just PriusOnline. In email...no problem. As to jpg's on other Websites...I haven't encountered many, it happens, so am not totally sure.

At PriusOnline, when I first joined I could see the jpg file when I clicked on it, as I remember. But now...nada. I don't even get the "hand" icon for the mouse-cursor when I position it over the filename.

Ken

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Towards the bottom of the thread, on the right it shows what you CAN and CANNOT do. Be sure it says you can download.

Example:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

However, I noticed a guest CAN download files, so you should see the JPGs. Do you see Avatars?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right...I do see "you can download..." etc. Also, if by Avatars you mean the little images at the left of the postings, yes, I see them OK.

I just checked again with a posting that included a jpg attachment. I see the filename, the size entry, etc., but I still cannot either click on the filename to view it or to download it. It's as if it's just another piece of text: no link action at all.

Ken

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Types of images

Just so were sure we are talking about the same thing since there are multiple ways an image can be included in a post.

Option 1: URL Link
Toyota Prius - Front impact --this should be a link to external picture

Option 2: Inline image

-- should show image as part of post

Option 3: Attachment
-- Should be an image in the attachment box below

Let me know which one is not working and I will try to help you.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All 3 of the options you present show just "as advertised". (and #2...ouch!!). And I can copy, save, etc. the #3 image. But...when I go to, say, Technical|SunTek carbon-dyed tint, or Technical|hooking up the iPod, and look for their jpg images, I see none; the image-boxes are empty. That is the case for all others that I have tried to access.

Ken

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Can you right click and select Save Picture As or Save Target As? I am suspecting for some reason your system isn't supporting those particular JPG formats.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I can do that perfectly well with the Option 2 & 3 images, but not with any jpg's otherwise posted. For those, there's no image presented; just a blank box. That is the case for all the other postings I've checked that have jpg's in them. This is really strange, no?

Ken

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Hmm, there does seem to be a difference in coding of the posts. When I right click the image in the thread you mentioned, it shows Save Targe As, as well as Save Picture As, but when I right click the attachment Pete posted here, all I get is Save Picture As.

I am going to attach Pete's picture that I saved Picture As, as well as the picture I saved Target As from the other thread. If you still see pete's but not the one from the other thread, your system is not allowing the jpg format.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, DanMan32, maybe we're getting somewhere. In your 11:34 posting I see the 440 image but not the 1064. In your 11:38 posting I see the 1064s.

For both images that I can see, I can right-click for the usual View, Copy Save as, etc. box.

As I've said, I don't have this problem anywhere else, so it seems likely it's an anomaly peculiar to this Forum...no?

Ken

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
See if you can access this link: http://www.priusonline.com/files/thumbs ... 64_178.jpg . If you get the picture to come up, then it is not a permissions problem. Pete might want to look at/disclose his algorithm for presenting large pictures as attachments.

If it doesn't come up, then you have a permissions problem that Pete has to fix so you have access to files in the THUMBS folder.

10/3/05 9:58PM Edited to correct link

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
hmm... interesting.

Whenever a large image is attached a thumbnail is automatically generated on the server and it is used as a link to the origional full sized image. It appears that for some reason Ken's browser is not displaying the images generated by the server.

All users have the same permissions to the folders where the images are stored so that's not the issue.

I'm currently using Firefox 1.0.7 on XP and it has no problems displaying the thumbnails.

Ken,
Have you tried reinstalling FireFox? How about checking in Internet Explorer?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, I attempted access on 3 Oct at 4:26 pm PST and got the following:

Not Found
The requested document was not found on this server.

Web Server at priusonline.com

Ken

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ahh...I should have seen that; eyeballs not as good as they once were. I do get the photo OK.

Ken

P.S. I just noted Pete's posting above so tried IE again, at Technical|SunTek carbon-dyed tint. Still no image. And as for reinstalling Firefox--naww, I don't want to have to do that! Everything else works OK.

KCH

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Sorry about the trailing period.
You mean the thumbnail link has a redirect clause sent to the browser? Hmm, maybe his 98 doesn't like that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts