Toyota Prius Forum banner

Type of Gas (Newbie question)

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mrv 
#1 ·
Hello everyone

I just purchased a used 2001 toyota prius and I have the following question....

What type of fuel provides the best mileage and reduced emmisions?

I understand that "regular" fuel is recomended in the Prius. Are there any issues related to using higher octane fuel? Most of the gas stations now advertise "cleaner burning" fuel for the high octane. Assuming that people are purchasing Hybrids to be kind to the environment I would assume that someone has tried this out.

Any recomendations ?

#2 ·
If you can score low sulpher gasoline, it will extend the life of your catalytic converter, thereby reducing lifetime emissions. Note that if you happen to fill up in California, this is automatic.

Outside California, some brands have low sulpher in some states, but it's usually difficult to find out. Sometimes it's only the premium fuel of a brand that is low sulpher.

G
#4 ·
Use regular 87 octane gas. Premium octane is designed to run in higher powered engines. Using it in the Prius actually defeats the purpose of the Prius engine because it won't burn as efficiently.
As for "brands" of gasoline. Virtually all gasoline (and, I suspect toothpaste) sold in the US, with the exception of California, is refined in the same way and travels through the same pipelines. Individual retailers, like Shell and Standard, add their own additives and detergents to the gas once it goes into their storage and delivery facilities. People have definite brand loyalties and stories about how this or that brand of gas makes their engines run cleaner or gives them better mileage. I've tried Shell, Standard, ARCO, Texaco and BP and have, frankly, not noticed any difference. Perhaps over a long period of time with a specific brand, compared to an equally long period of time with another brand, would yield enough data to make a judgement.
Most gasoline has detergents already added. I think the brand name claims are 80 percent hype.
As a way of evenening things out, switch brands from time to time so that you "round out" your car's fuel diet.
Bob

#6 ·
with the exception of being able to get low-sulfur or no MMT fuel, stay with regular 87 octane fuel. (higher octane fuels are even known to give the Prius check engine lights, besides lower fuel economy)

I also suggest reading:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm
The Low Down on High Octane Gasoline

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.