Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm one of the only Prius owners/drivers in my little area, I get a lot of questions from time to time and still after these few years about the car... Anyway, I was asked these two questions and wasn't sure what the correct answer was so I thought I'd ask you guys/gals:

1) If the hybrid batteries run their life can you remove the batteries and disconnect the HSD to run the car off the ICE alone, permanently, and also make use of the MFD mileage display?

2) If this IS possible, what kind of mileage would one expect to achieve off the vehicle if it can be ran off just the gas engine as a "normal" car would?

Apparently the person that was asking me said he saw a 2003 for sale with the batteries gone out and the owner couldn't afford to replace them and he was wondering if he could take the batteries out and drive it like a normal car. I honestly didn't know what to tell him for sure as I haven't seen anyone post about it on here, I don't think.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Since it takes MG1 to start the ICE in the first place, and MG1 is run off the main battery at that point since that's the only power source available to MG1, the answer is no. Even if you mananged to get ICE running without the effort of the battery, the battery is used to even out/buffer the changes in current flow. In a conventional car, you can't easily run it without the 12V battery. Now that they have electronics, without the 12V battery to even out the power out of the alternator, you'll burn out the electronics.

A couple of years ago, a lady asked us for help in getting her boyfriend a new battery for his classic, as it had 240K miles on it, had poor acceleration and mileage due to the weak condition of the battery. We suggested she look into a salvaged battery, and thus they were able to get a replacement for a net of $1800 including the cost of the battery and installation by the dealer (which the dealer originally quoted them $5000), minus the $200 for the old battery. So you could probably get a replacement for less than $2000.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the explanation. I've committed it to the vault so next time I see the guy on my morning latte run I'll let him know. 8)

The '03 he was looking at had up near 200k miles on it apparently and he said for the cost he didn't want to put any more money into it because for a small sedan it was a good deal, if he didn't have to fork out any money for the replacement battery. I gave him the talk about emmissions and my routine "saving the world by buying a Prius" panegyric but he was mostly looking at bottom-line MPG and said he would probably go with a used Saturn.[/i]

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Just to toy with your second, theoretical, question....
Your FE would be pretty good. You'd have very little acceleration or power, but the Atkinson cycle ICE would deliever quite good FE.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
To make a fair comparison, just add $2000 to the asking price (or potential negotiation price) of the vehicle, and then judge if the capital costs are reasonable for the low operating costs. It's just like any other used commodity, whether a car or a home. Another used car for private sale might need tires, oil change, maybe some other work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.