Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fellow Prius owner tells me his dealer quoted a price of $200 to replace his worn out 12 volt accessory battery. Can this be? That battery is nothing more than a small $35 tractor battery equivalent. Has this happened to anyone else? Maybe the battery terminals are solid gold. :wink:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
venting makes it custom, but there are replacements that can be adapted. There is a thread either here or on Pchat that covered it for Gen 1.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
proper venting, and the specialized posts on the Prius' 12v battery (besides the size) can make finding a new battery expensive. $200 is actually a cheap price (usually around $300 to install the newer mounting bracket and the new battery...)

Please read:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toy ... 072738257/
for info on replacement Classic Prius 12v batteries

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I don't think anyone's needed it replaced out of warranty. But yes, it is the vented kind, though I don't know if it is a different size from the Classic or if the posts are the same.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I guess it didn't occur to me that the 12V was warannteed except for defects. Is it not a standard 5-year battery? Guess I'd better pull out my owner's manual!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I should say that, yes, I realize the 04 05 battery would not need replacement yet, I can perform addition... although I don't have very many fingers and toes, being a manatee and all.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses everybody. Michelle's response was right on the money. The link tells it all. The Miata battery and cable change seems to be the way to go when the problem eventually gets here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts