Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does any body know how to turn of the Warning screen ( saying pay attantions to the road bla bla......) that shows up on your screen every single time that you start the engine?

Thanks

·
Registered
669 Posts
There is an aftermarket gadget to do that, but it's an actual piece of hardware. I haven't heard of a software fix. After a while, hitting the screen becomes automatic and it isn't as annoying as it was at first.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
More importantly, the doodad, in addition to bypassing the annoying warning screen, allows you to use the NAV system while moving. While this might not be a great idea if you are driving, it does allow the passenger to manipulate the NAV system at any time. There's also supposed to be an add on to that in the works to allow Bluetooth operation while moving.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
My kids fight over who gets to press the button. Unless I'm driving alone, it's never a problem!

·
Registered
370 Posts
ltu1542hvy said:
That aftermarket doodad to do this can be pre-ordered at http://www.coastaletech.com

- Bill

Yeah, but does anyone actually know when it'll be ready to ship? The website says "6-8 weeks", but IIRC, it's said that for several months now. I called and emailed Coastal Tech, but never received any response.

DGStan

·
Registered
13 Posts
I been reading about the coastal tech Fix, seems like no one has done it yet or atleast posted their experience with the device... I'd like to order but like to get some Feedbacks first... Thanks...

·
Registered
1 Posts
CoastaleTech

Lionking said:
I been reading about the coastal tech Fix, seems like no one has done it yet or atleast posted their experience with the device... I'd like to order but like to get some Feedbacks first... Thanks...
CoastaleTech is only taking pre-orders at the moment - they haven't gone into full production yet. If my pre-order ever ships, I'll be installing it and writing a review ASAP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
anytime Nav

I have a toyota 4runner with similar warnings and while in motion limits built into the Navigation system. Not to take anything from Coastal Dave (as once I get my prius, I will be ordering other things from him) but the fix for the "anytime NAV" as it is called on other forums is not that difficult to fix. The way I have it set for my 4runner is a button that the "passenger" can switch that will enable input of destinations, POIs etc while in motion. It costs about $20 in parts and took about 20-30 minutes to install. I cannot see why a similar setup would not work with this NAV. If anyone has a wiring manual, you just need to know which wire feeds the speed impulses to the NAV. There is a website that mechanics/owners can but a $10 1day pass to download all manuals.

Just some thoughts. I am probably not buying until late summer/early fall but if nobody does it before then, I will post my work.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Advantages of Coastal's kit:
1) No wire cutting.
2) Easily removable (it's plug and play under the seat).
3) Doesn't disable dead-reckoning.

Disadvantages:
1) Doesn't exist yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
KTPhil said:
Advantages of Coastal's kit:
1) No wire cutting.
2) Easily removable (it's plug and play under the seat).
3) Doesn't disable dead-reckoning.

Disadvantages:
1) Doesn't exist yet.
If you want it to be removable, Even easier. The time consuming part of the 4runner install was mounting of the switch. If the Nav is under the seat in the prius, I'll change my estimate to 10-15 mins for the prius. I'm not sure I understand your 3rd advantage but agree with #1.

Again, no disrespect to Dave but I think $75 has to be listed as a disadvantage.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
When you remove the speed sensor inputs, you remove the Nav's ability to track the car's linear motion accurately. If GPS were blocked you'd appear to the Nav system to not be moving at all. Remember the manual's admonition about loss of track when on a ferry? That's because the wheels aren't turning, so the Nav thinks you are stationary. For short distances, dead reckoning is more accurate than GPS, so for example if you used the switch when near your destination, you might be a few houses off target.

The price is high, but the connectors alone are most of that cost, and that is what gives you the "removable for when you take it ot the dealer" feature.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds to me that's easier just to leave it alone the way it is, and put up with the warning screen. :mrgreen:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts