Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Prius. I took it into my local garage to change the oil at 5000 miles. But,they did not know how to turn off the 'Maint Required' light. It is anoying. How can I turn it off?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
RTFM.
(sorry, that's the caffeine talking, not me)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Trun the car on.
Make sure the odometer is set to ... well ... odometer (not trip A or B)
Turn the car off.
Turn the car on while holding the ODO button.
Keep the ODO button pressed until the odometer readout "does it's thing".
Your done! :)

I'm typing from memory, but I think that's all there is to it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sanny said:
RTFM.
I tried to find this in the manual and never did. I came here to find out how. Cut us some slack please!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
CaPriusLover said:
Sanny said:
RTFM.
I tried to find this in the manual and never did. I came here to find out how. Cut us some slack please!
I think Hyperion posted the following in another thread, when another member asked how to turn off the maint. light after an oil change.

hyperion said:
Or you could have gone to page 102 in your owners manual for the directions about cancelling out the warning light.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:) Page 122 in the 2004 Owner's Manual gives instructions on turning the "Maint Reqd" light off. The BOLD text is exactly quoted from the Owner's Manual.

1. Press the "POWER" switch to the "OFF" mode with the odometer reading shown. (For details, see "Odometer and two trip meters" on page 115.) [Set the odometer to the total mileage rather than to one of the trip odometers.]

2. Press the "POWER" switch twice to select the "IG-ON" mode while holding down the trip meter reset button.
[Press POWER without pressing the brake pedal to get to "IG-ON" mode as indicated on the panel display.]

Hold down the button for at least 5 seconds. The odometer indicates "000000" and the light goes off.
[The odometer reading will return to your actual mileage after the reset.]

The added comments in italics are my added comments to hopefully clearfy the procedures since the "translation" may be confusing.

If the system fails to reset, the light will remain flashing." [In this case, start over.]

The translation is not detailed but is accurate though hard to deciphier.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Humm, it is on page 122 (not 102). It is not very will documented ... and what I mean by that is that you would likely have to start reading from page 113 - OPERATION OF INSTRUMENT AND CONTROLS until you stumbled accross it 9 pages later after reading the technical mumbo-jumbo. And even then, the steps are sort of blended into the rest of the text. A simple heading, Reseting the Engine Oil Replacement Reminder Light...

Anyway, thanks for posting the page number!! :D

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
CaPriusLover said:
Humm, it is on page 122 (not 102). It is not very will documented ... and what I mean by that is that you would likely have to start reading from page 113 - OPERATION OF INSTRUMENT AND CONTROLS until you stumbled accross it 9 pages later after reading the technical mumbo-jumbo. And even then, the steps are sort of blended into the rest of the text. A simple heading, Reseting the Engine Oil Replacement Reminder Light...

Anyway, thanks for posting the page number!! :D
You're right - 122 in the manual. I checked when I got home. It's also in the NAV book at about page 96. Sorry about the wrong page cite. :(

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I also couldn't fine it in the manuals... I spent 20 minutes wasting my time first looking in the index... whoops, there isn't one. Then I checked the headings... hmmm, nothing there. Then I checked the "do it yourself maintenance" section, surely it would be there... and found nothing.

I gave up and checked here... bingo!

So they buried it under "controls"? How silly.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
It is not accidental that they hide it. I minor little cheat perhaps, but they're trying to keep you at the dealer for your oil changes. Bet it works on many!

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
It's not just this note. The whole manual is like this. Now that I am more familiar with the car I purchased on "E"bay a second owners manual and have started reading it from page one and making up my own index. Time consuming but interesting and well worth the effort. When complete I will be making a second copy to put in the original manual which I would never dare to remove from car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After I turn off light, then what?

Took my '05 Prius in for an oil change at 5000 miles, but the light came on at 6100 miles. Now, when I reset it, does it come on again at 10,000 or will it wait until 5000 miles have elapsed and come back on at 11,100? Or, am I just being too obsessive-compulsive about this?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Re: After I turn off light, then what?

iconoscope said:
...Or, am I just being too obsessive-compulsive about this?
Yup, probably. :wink:

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
It will come on in the next 5000 miles. Actually it will start blinking a warning at 4500.

If you were disabling any beeps, you may have accidentally reset the maint. light. Did you disable beeps at 1100 miles, or have any repair done then? I did that.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts