Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help, please! Last week when my 2005 Prius went in for 3.7k service and the service manager raised the hood, out came two handsful of animal turds. Suspecting a squirrel, I installed two ZipLoc bags, perforated nicely, filled with mothballs under the hood, one behind each headlight assembly, plus several single mothballs taped in depressions above the radiator section.

Checking daily, I found no turds for a week, but then this morning two samples plus some suspicious liquid.

What the hell to do? The dealer/service manager suggested that the Prius must have some easy access underneath and that engine residual warmth must attract these cute but pesky critters, and worse that they often exhibit a taste for electrical wiring, etc.

Anybody else have this problem? What to do? Please!!

Claudio

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Sung to the tune of "skip to my lou"

Turds on the radiator, whad'll I do?
Turds on the intake, whad'll I do?
Turds on the HSD, whad'll I do?
Skip to my lou, my darlin....

That sung, there's a recent thread on this topic, and how to prevent. Do a search on moth balls or mice, and see what you find.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
the suggested recent topic: http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=6033

and it isn't that the wiring is tasty, it just serves the purpose to keep the front teeth trim. Cars can be a nice warm home to cats as well as rodents, so you do have to be careful where you park and for what's under the hood when you start your car/use the AC...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bronx Squirrel

I had a similar experience a few months ago. It all started when I thought I should double my intake of Ginkoba. Every few days I would notice that I would be missing or misplacing again another polishing rag that I kept stacked not quite so neatly on my garage workbench.

I then at one point decided to check the oil level by raising the hood and looking at the dipstick. To my surprise there were about 7 or 8 polishing rags stuffed all around the fuse block on the right side of the engine bay.

They included some rat droppings and teeth marks in the top of the fuse block cover, the sound deadening material on the hood itself and some of the black interduct protecting some of the wiring near the fuse block.

I coincidently went out to the spa a few hours later and found the "poor" thing floating in it not exactly "waterlogged" - yet. Apparently went to get a drink of water before bedding down for the night.

Problem solved!

I put out traps after that in case "it" had any friends or relatives. Strangely enough it appears that it was a loner. No more critters in the garage for the last few months. (Fingers crossed...)[/i]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Rats in the engine compartment. Ugh.

I had some rather unique markings on my Buick that would generate quite a few questions along the lines of, "what in the world happened?" The front left corner of the car had dozens of 3-6 inch vertical dents in the metal, with the paint scratched off. My simple response of "rats" rarely satisfied the inquisitor.

What happened was rats would come into the garage. When Macbeth, my 130 lb. Rottweiler, would see them, up they would go into the wheel well to hide. He then started beating on my car with that massive club of a paw he has.

The first time it happened, it was covered by the insurance company. The second time, I decided not to bother. The car burned to the ground a few weeks ago, which led to me getting my Prius. I love the Prius, but I sure do miss the Buick as well. Hopefully I won't have rat problems again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts