Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been studying the Priuses now for a long time and I have talked to dealers, owners, and fanatics. I have put a down payment on one out of a dealership in Mass. I want a Black #6. I've been told, however, that there are none around. I've been waiting on the car for 3 weeks now, and he tells me it's at least 5 weeks away. He says there are none in the Northeast (I told him I'd travel to get one).

It's not that I don't believe him, but has anyone seen a Black #6 in Southern (or even northern) New England? I live in RI, and I commute to college in NY. I have no trouble driving 300+ miles to pick up a car that I want so badly. Anyone seen one around in their shopping experiences lately? I don't really want to settle for the silver one that's on the lot. I'll be approaching the car for the next 8 years saying, "This is great, but I wish it were black."

-Uttley

·
Registered
121 Posts
Then you need to do your homework.

If you absolutely will not be happy with anything except a black #6 you have two choices.

Wait 5 weeks. Two months isn't that far out of line. You might get lucky and one might come in sooner.

Or...you can do the work yourself. You gave the dealer money and he has no incentive to find your car any sooner. So now you have to do the work. Go on the internet and check ALL of the dealers in your area for a Black #6. At least #6 is a lot easier to get. If you don't get responses through the net or their websites, then you make a list of all of the dealers within a 100 mile radius and you call them on the phone. Expand to 200 mile radius and then 300 mile radius if necessary.

Too bad you already put the money down. Is it refundable?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I told him that I would be expecting to take that money back if the car didn't come in in the 3 weeks that he originally quoted. But ... then my Mom signed some papers while I was out listening to the sound system. Don't know. It was a $500 deposit. If he won't return it, I'll have to wait the 5.

And you're right, I guess I'll be on the phone a while. Just really looking to have a visual verification from anyone in the area before I do that.

G

·
I can assure that black looks really nice when shined up and absolutely looks horrible the next day when the elements effect it. It is a VERY high maintenance color. That would be my LAST pick. The white is really nice and so is that blue color.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Mark Prius said:
I can assure that black looks really nice when shined up and absolutely looks horrible the next day when the elements effect it. It is a VERY high maintenance color. That would be my LAST pick. The white is really nice and so is that blue color.
high maintenance color? I don't remember the last time my car needed to visit a car wash. I usually get comments about how sharp the color looks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've owned black cars in the past. While they do show the pollen and salt (which I'll have to deal with in the winter) and the dings and scratches, they still do look gorgeous. I will be keeping my car clean and scratch free, even if it takes a bath every day. I'll have my touch-up paint handy just in case, too. The dealer was trying to tell me the same things though. I'm really set on the color.

I've also noticed (with my past cars), that the more waxed up they are, the easier it is to remove the dust and such. Sometimes even a quick spraydown with the hose took care of everything because the residue was just rolling away.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've also got a black Prius and love it. Get the Zaino and use it and that will help a lot. If you have a garage, even better. I wanted the gray interior but settled for ivory because that's what they had on the lot. Yes, I drove to a dealer, test drove a car and bought it that afternoon. But I'm in San Diego and So. Cal gets a lot more of them (but only #1,3 &6)

#6 is the easiest package to get.

Silver is the easiest color to get, as you found out.

If you want black, let your fingers do the walking. Use cars.com or some other internet website to find and contact all of the dealers within a 300 mile radius of where you are and ask them if they have a black #6, only black, only #6. See what you find and who will deal. You may not have to wait that extra 5 weeks. And to tell the truth, if your dealer jerked you around once, he may do it again. So do your homework. Consider going out of state to buy one. Others have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts