Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to return the cargo net because I didn't want to drill holes into my new car. I found these collapsible storage crates at WalMart for less than $4.00 each. You can fit two in the hidden area (one horizontal and one vertical). They fit perfectly like they were meant for there. They won’t move around at all. Then when you want you can open the hidden area and keep it up using the little metal bar. Open the collapsible crates and put stuff in there. When you get home you can carry the crates in with the stuff and then put the crates back, collapse them again and close the hidden storage area. They are working out great for me and I like them better than when I had a cargo net for my Rav4.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:wink: Good suggestions for some folks; however......

The "collapsible crates" would not prevent cargo from becoming "missles" in a panic stop. I have both the vertical "sack" type net and a full-size horizontal net for cargo use. Vertical came with the Prius, bought the horizontal on eBay.

My 2¢ worth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pull the cover into place and can't see how things will fly around.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
sjayg said:
I pull the cover into place and can't see how things will fly around.
45 to 0 in .4 seconds will make lethal projectiles out of anything behind you in the car that isn't secured, including groceries, dogs, kids, or folding chairs. The cargo screen isn't going to stop those things and the airbag will be on the wrong side of your head. It's a good habit to secure everything you put behind you in the car.

·
Registered
455 Posts
what do you need to drill for the nets?

I have both, and didn't drill anything.

in the storage area I have more important stuff

ice scrapper (yeah, I live in CA now, but I grew up in CT)
can of fix a flat
bungee cords
first aide kit
couple of bottles of water
flashlight
tarp
blanket
maybe some other stuff

Plus, Wal*Mart is the evil empire, I don't buy anything there. And I am not being sarcastic, I have never purchased an item at Wal*Mart. Came close a few times, but never did it.

spike

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"what do you need to drill for the nets? I have both, and didn't drill anything. "

The Toyota rear (vertical) cargo net requires ethat you drill two 1/4" holes in the plastic side covers.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I also am using the Wal Mart collapsible crates in my Prius. They are quicker and easier to use than the cargo nets and they keep groceries and small items from rolling around. I saw them for sale on a Toyota parts website somewhere for $20 apiece but went to Wal Mart and got them for $3.88 each so I'm a happy camper. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE:
I saw them for sale on a Toyota parts website somewhere for $20 apiece but went to Wal Mart and got them for $3.88 each so I'm a happy camper.

What department do they sell these in? Automotive??

Thanks,
Roger

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't see them at two of the WalMarts near my house but found them at a third. They are in the houswares department where they sell all the plastic storage units (like rubbermaid, etc.). They are stacked in a box and might be on a high shelf so kids won't play with them. The sides are black and the bottom is sort of royal blue. They are each 14" x 19". I used them today and still love them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do you think by any possible chance you could drop a picture on so we know what we are looking for......Sorry I am a visual person and these sound like such a great idea and the price seems GREAT!!!! Thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks, sjayg. Those are the exact same ones I have. The ends push in and they collapse down to about 2". I don't bother to store them in the lower storage compartment. I just leave them in the main trunk area. I've gotten quite adept at grabbing one with one hand and raising it up quickly while holding my stuff with the other. Collapsing it still takes two hands, though, so I'm not quite as clever and coordinated as I would like to be.

·
Registered
393 Posts
sjayg said:
I decided to return the cargo net because I didn't want to drill holes into my new car.
So? When done, the hooks in the car look like they belong. And I find that cargo net, does more then hold cargo. When you open the trunk, if it's really full, it stops cargo from spilling out of the trunk. I think the cargo net is a great 'mod'.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts