Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a trunk liner for my 2005 Prius. I was lookin on the net but it only looks like they make them for SUV'S. I need it for my wet gear from fishing and scuba diving etc...

·
Registered
48 Posts
We got our Prius with the 5-piece carpeted mat set, but I'm also shopping for all weather mats for the floor & trunk. The two products that have popped up most frequently in my searches have been the WeatherTech and ExactMat mats & cargo liners.

I've read good things about the ExactMats, especially about how well they fit. They appear to be made of that same heavy clear plastic with the little spikes on the bottom used under office chairs to protect and make it easier to roll the chair on carpeted floors. The main complaint seems to be that this type of mat does not have the channels along the perimeter to prevent water & debris from spilling onto the Prius' carpeting. Metro Toyota has these mats here:
http://www.metrotpn.com/ProductDetails. ... rtIndex=12

The WeatherTech mats are made from thick, flexible rubber and have the deep channels around the edges. The main complaint I've seen on these is that they are priced like custom mats, but really aren't a custom fit. Several posters have commented that Costco has mats that fit like they were made for the Prius at only $20 or so for the set of four floor mats or the single cargo mat. I've been unable to find anything that fits that well at our local Costco, Sam's Club, or BJ's. :cry:

Here is WeatherTech's website:
http://www.weathertech.com/store/vehsea ... hoice_id=0
This dealer has many customer reviews for both the floor and cargo mats, including some by Prius owners:
http://www.autoanything.com/products/pr ... floor_mats

I expect the ExactMat will suit my needs just fine for the cargo area, but without the edge channels I'm not sure how well it will work for fishing & scuba gear. I would also like to have something that covers the split seat backs when one or both are folded down. For the floors, I'm really tempted to get Metro's all-weather mats, but I'm holding off because so far they are only offering them in black (I prefer brown or tan to match the interior).
http://www.metrotpn.com/ProductDetails. ... rtIndex=11

Hope this helps, and that others follow with better suggestions.

·
Registered
298 Posts
$109.00?
I'd rather continue to use a plastic picnic table cloth. I run the excess up the sides to prevent anything wet from reaching the carpeting and it works beautiful. The backing keeps it from slipping and I can fold it up and put it in the storage area underneath to get it out of the way. It hasn't failed yet and only cost me $2. When it gets badly stained I'll replace it and use the extra $107.00 for something I want. :)

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I have the Toyota trunk liner/carpet in my 04. When I have something really wet or dirty to put in the back, I just flip it over and use the rubber side up. Works great and it's non-slip.

·
Registered
736 Posts
trunk liners

I suggest you try Mats4Less.com for a Cargobox liner. It is a good fit, and has a raised lip to contain water. Mine was $79.99 a few months ago, but more recently a friend got his for $10 off. I had tried several times to get one from Weathertech, but was told there wasn't enough market demand for them to make a custom one for the Prius.
Actually, I misspelled the name, it is called a Carbox liner. Sorry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We picked up a large, rubber-backed, black floor mat at Costco (I think for around $20) and cut it to the outline of the cargo area (very easy if you have the cargo floor mat) - looks great and keeps moisture from seeping through.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Wethertech definately now makes one for the Prius, got mine about 3 months ago. We have used Weathertech liners for our past 5 or 6 cars the fit was always excellent. And the lip around the edge is key, it will hold quite a bit of liquid without spilling it. When something I have picked up at Home Depot punctured a can of Mountain Dew I had back there on my last car, all I did was take everything out, then take out the mat, carfully so as not to spill it, and then just hosed it off. That would have been a mess on the regular carpets, and the the regular rubber mats without the edge would have been messy too. Real real messy.

Spike

·
Registered
4 Posts
I highly recommend the WeatherTech. It fits perfectly and is high quality. I also bought a CargoTote and it's great for groceries or carrying potted plants or what have you.

Regards,
Chuck Lane

·
Registered
48 Posts
hyperion said:
Seaside, I went to the website you posted and found they now offer the cargo mats in both tan and gray for ten dollars more than the black ($109.99) plus $18 I believe for shipping.
Yeah, I thought that was fairly outrageous, especially considering the mixed reviews I've seen on these mats. I suspect those complaints were based on the nearest match WeatherTech offered before they produced a "real" Prius cargo liner, but geez, the Toyota carpeted trunk mat lists for "only" $82.

Roger V said:
I suggest you try Mats4Less.com for a Cargobox liner. It is a good fit, and has a raised lip to contain water. Mine was $79.99 a few months ago, but more recently a friend got his for $10 off. I had tried several times to get one from Weathertech, but was told there wasn't enough market demand for them to make a custom one for the Prius.
Bingo! I had come across the Carbox line at Mats4Less when I first began my search, saw the prices... and promptly forgot about them. I now realize they are quite competitive with other products of this type and they meet both of my requirements: 1) Matching mats for floor and cargo area (wife's car--everything must coordinate!) and 2) they must have grooves or lips to catch mud, rain, & slush. (We don't get much snow, but we do have very sloppy winters in Tidewater.)

Placed my order today. Either the Carbox or WeatherTech liners should serve equally well for elect1960's fishing & scuba stuff, but the Carbox liner is considerably cheaper ($72 w/free shipping vs. $110 + $12 S&H).

·
Registered
736 Posts
trunk liner

Seaside,
The only negative, which I forgot to mention, was it takes a few weeks to get the one from Mats4Less, unless they are now stocking them. I had talked to the WeaterTech rep at the SEMA show in Las Vegas last Nov., and he was the one that told me they wouldn't be doing one specific to the Prius because the numbers didn't work for them. They did suggest a "universal mat" but I wanted to protect the entire area.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re: trunk liner

Roger V said:
Seaside,
The only negative, which I forgot to mention, was it takes a few weeks to get the one from Mats4Less, unless they are now stocking them.
If there is one virtue that all Prius owners must possess, it has to be patience! Actually, I lucked out by "finding" our exact car already on a dealer's lot, but I have no such high hopes for our upcoming purchase of Prius #2 (to complete the His & Hers set) :wink:

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
I'm a huge Weathertech fan. I have their floor mat set, which the front mats are basically a very good almost custom fit. The driver's matt seems custom, and the passenger mat is quite long and covers all the floor area. The mats do not extend all the way to the door threshold, however unless you are dragging your feet across threshold as you get in the car, not much dirt will accumulate in the area which is not covered. The uncovered area is not more than an inch in width from the matt to the threshold.

I have found that the Weathertech mats hold just about all the dirt and muck you will drag into the vehicle with your shoes. Carefully removing the matt and shaking off the dirt and hosing them down makes interior clean up very easy. The floors only require a limited amount of vacuuming. Basically a great product. Much better than I would expect out of most third party auto products.

I will be purchasing the cargo matt when I fee a bit more flush.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re: trunk liner

Roger V said:
The only negative, which I forgot to mention, was it takes a few weeks to get the one from Mats4Less, unless they are now stocking them.
Apparently, they are now stocking the Carbox Prius matts. I just received an email from Matts4Less with my UPS tracking number. Matts are in Richmond and will be delivered on Monday. I'll post my impressions on fit & finish after I install them and ride with them for a while.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts