Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were a few things that the dealer apparently was supposed to install at the delivery inspection but forgot about. One set were plugs that go into the support member just in front of the rear wheels (I could handle that one). The other one my wife just found in the trunk and I've got no idea where it goes. It's a black U-shaped piece just a little smaller than the inside of the trunk and it apparently mounts using screws. Rather than take it to a dealer, does anyone know where this goes? I can probably post pictures if needed.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
jdbower said:
There were a few things that the dealer apparently was supposed to install at the delivery inspection but forgot about. One set were plugs that go into the support member just in front of the rear wheels (I could handle that one). The other one my wife just found in the trunk and I've got no idea where it goes. It's a black U-shaped piece just a little smaller than the inside of the trunk and it apparently mounts using screws. Rather than take it to a dealer, does anyone know where this goes? I can probably post pictures if needed.
As I recall, the U-shaped bolt usually hides out by the spare tire/jack.

The U-bolt is mentioned in the owner's manual. It's a tow hook. No need to install it unless you need a tow.

(The other package of fasteners you mention are drain plugs, meant to cover up the transporter tie-down holes, and makes sure water drains properly out of the underbody of the car.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really a bolt...

It's more of a large rubbery gasket (it's actually a form of pliable plastic). About 3' wide and 18" long IIRC. Held on by (order of magnitude) 6 screws. This is from memory a few days ago so I'm not positive about the details.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Jeff, I believe what you have there is the air dam that mounts up under the front bumper. My dealer neglected to install mine, too, and I found it in the trunk along with a package of mounting hardware. The air dam is indeed just a little shorter than the width of the trunk (longer than the 18" that you remember) and about 2"+ wide. The dealer installed it in just a few minutes---guess they hadn't sold too many Prii at that point (April '02). Glad I hadn't paid extra for "dealer prep"!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have a winner!

It was the front air dam and would have installed much easier if I had a lift. Even so, a few quick screws later and it's in place. Now I know what will be ripped off when my wife bottoms out in the snow or scrapes a curb :oops: !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts