Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to do preventative maintenance, however I see no mention in the manual about changing the transmission fluid. Does this mean that it never needs to be changed (Prius Classic model)? I've tried searching this forum and other forums on this subject to no avail. Can anybody answer this question or direct me to a post in this or other forums on this subject?

Thanks!
-M

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hello,
There is no transmission on Prius.
However, there is a HYBRID TRANSAXLE. :)

The owner's manual says...
HYBRID TRANSAXLE
Fluid capacity (drain and refill),
L (qt., Imp. qt.):
3.6 (3.8, 3.2)
Fluid type: Toyota Genuine ATF WS or
equivalent
I could not find any maintenance schedule about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I'll bet it needs no maintenance. The only frictional parts in it are permanently-engaged gears and a chain. Does the differential on an ordinary car need regular maintenance?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I got my Prius on Monday. A really nice man helped us through our buying process. He opened the hood and showed us around under there. He said that the Prius' transmission is fully contained and needs no maintenance at all. If you look under the hood you won't find the little red dip-stick that you check the transmission fluid with, as in "regular" cars. I thought that was pretty cool.

Brian

·
Registered
928 Posts
According to the maintenance schedule, the differential oil should be inspected every 30K miles. This is the 2001-2003 Prius, I don't have a 2004.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Does the Differential on an Ordinary Car Need Regular Maint?

Yes, they do. It is not as frequent as the engine or automatic transmission fluid; but periodically, you should have a mechanic (or you can do it yourself) check the fluid level, and per the maintenance schedule, drain and refill the differential oil. Locking differentials (e.g. "posi-traction") take different oil than regular differentials, so make sure you use the right kind for your car. The wrong kind can ruin the rear-end. On most rear drive cars and trucks, the oil is checked by removing the fill plug and sticking your finger in to see if the fluid is up to the fill hole.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Does the Differential on an Ordinary Car Need Regular Maint?

Correction: "Limited-slip differentials" not "locking differentials". Limited slip differentials like "posi-traction" have a clutch between the gears the drive the two wheels. Instead of the wheel with the least resistance getting all the torque, the clutch drives the other wheel, too. Low fluid level or driving with different size wheels and tires on the two wheels will cause the clutch to slip all the time and burn it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts