Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recognising the penalties to the overall efficiency and the dangers inherant with boring holes in an electric car is there any mechanical/stability issues which would auger against installing a trailer hitch and using the Prius to haul a boat trailer with a GVW of less than 1000 pounds? Toyota does not recommend this practise but I can't find out their reasons. I imagine there could be a warranty issue.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Car is not rated for that weight; about 800# (including passengers) is all it can pull.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Trailer Towing

Beside overloading the tires, you will probably have serious problems with emergency handling, especially braking. I once towed a 2,000 pound travel trailer with a 1972 Mazda RX2 (very early rotary engine -- I'm a sucker for new technology). While we didn't have any problems pulling the load, we pretty much had to do what the trailer wanted during panic stops. Swerving and faded brakes on down grades were the norm. Had to keep speed to around 45 max on mountain grades and in crosswinds.

Your boat is a lot lighter and boats don't have the wind resistance of a taller trailer; but still, I would seriously consider a vehicle that was rated for the load. I'd hate to pass your Prius and boat in the ditch or on their sides in the median.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The hitch itself is no problem. There are a few suppliers that have them, though intended for bike racks and the like.
But your intended load is another matter. I would not recommend it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts