Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious as to what I would be able to get for my 2001 Prius as a trade-in at the local Toyota dealer since I'll be looking to probably buy a 2006 this year so I went in and was surprised to see that they said I could get $16,200 for my 68,000 mi. 2001....

... which is over $2,000 more than I paid for it with almost 30,000 miles added onto it when I bought it used!

I couldn't believe it.

... I might be getting a 2006 sooner than I thought if that is the case. :)

Has anyone else gotten any similar deals when trading in a classic for a newer model?

Oh yeah, and he said the trade-in value stood for any vehicle on their lot, not just for a new vehicle or for even a new Prius. Pretty crazy, I thought.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
If you feel that is a good deal, then jump on it. I doubt that you will get that good a deal again. To gain $2k in trade from your original used purchase is too hard not to pass up. Get something in writing and get that 06.

·
Registered
582 Posts
2001 trade-in

Typical prices for that model with about 70k miles is $12-14k. If your dealer is offering more, I have to suppose that the new car offered will be way north of $30K. Please do your homework and find out what you are buying. I like Jerome's suggestion of "in writing".

DAS

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
In writing is OK but remember that in the late 80's and till mid 90's I saw so many dealers advertising: $1500 trade-in guaranteed no matter what condition of your trade-in car's shape is in ! Drive-it in, Push-it in all guaranteed a $1500 trade-in. Guess what, all dealers vehicles inventory were "Marked up" at $2000 _Above_MSRP list !

If they offered you that "Inflated" High trade-in value, make sure that the 06 Prius what ever the package but at MSRP list, no more !

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talked to the guy again. He said that they would go $16,000 trade-in (Since we've added a couple thousand miles from the last visit... while holiday driving these past two weeks.) on an '06 Prius at MSRP ($23,316) leaving me with just over $7,000 to cover, adding what I owe yet on my '01 anyway. I'm not looking for anything more than the basic package #2.

Taking the wife over tomorrow and having her ride around as I give her a test drive and see how she likes it when she drives it.

The other option we have is trading in my wife's '98 Rav4, that we own, which will pull about $7k in trade value and using that to take off the '06 Prius price, giving the financing at just over $16,000. Then she'll take the '01 Prius and drive that until she's read to trade for a Scion XB, which is what she wants.

So yeah, we're looking at a couple options but haven't gotten anything in writing yet. Doesn't matter to me though. It's not like they are going to pull a fast one. If they don't give me the verbal $16k for my trade then I'll just keep it and take my business elsewhere... and at the other dealer I'll tell them they offered me $17k for the trade but I prefer not that dealer my business, and see what they can do. :)

Oh yeah, and this local Toyota dealer says they have a 2-month wait list for an '06 arrival. They do have one on the lot, an '05 Prius with 22k mi on her. Listed at $21,500.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah the salesman said the previous owner paid cash for the '05 Prius and brought it back and financed an '06 in the color and package they wanted to originally get with the '05, but that one was on the lot and he didn't want to wait for the one he wanted to arrive, which at the time for them was well over the 2 months they quoted me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts