Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at getting snow tires for our new Prius. We are going to get new rims for the tires. Is it necessary to get a TPMS installed in each rim. I understand that the TPMS monitor will indicate an error if it is not installed, but would like to forgo the added expense of sensor in each new rim.

Are there any issues with this that anyone can think of?

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Just put the snows on the new rims and install them on the car. You'll have the low tire pressure warning light for the duration, but that's better than shelling out big bucks for the TPMS for the snow tires. That's how my brothers-in-law handle theirs in Maine.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I run snows on dedicated wheels on my cars, and leave the TPMS sensors on the OEM wheels in my garage over the winter. There are no issues. On Toyotas, once the car first notices that you don't have the sensors nearby, the idiot light will blink for a while, then stay fixed on for the rest of the season. (On my Miata, the light blinks for about 30 seconds each time I start the car, then changes to a fixed on.)

Some have put black electrical tape over the light. I just ignore it.

rpm

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know if Prius TPMS sensors are interchangeable year-to-year? I'm not willing to fork over an additional $325+ (internet) for Toyota TPMS sensors, let alone the dealer cost of well over $400. But a used set from a 2008 on my 2007 Touring I will consider. (I, too, use deicated snows.) If they are compatible, is there a special programming routine required (by myself OR dealer), or can I just use the TPMS (re)set routine??? Do they require any special installation technique a tire mounter will want to ding me for?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
You will have to get the car programmed each time you change your tires. The system cannot handle 8 different sensors. I believe the limit is 4 or 5.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts