Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be picking up an '06 Prius in the next two weeks and want to put in Toyota's new XM Radio system.

I've been told that the tuner part is available, but not the mounting kit. Since you need both parts, Toyota's XM cannot currently be installed.

Anyone know what the holdup is and when Toyota will have its mounting kit available?

·
Registered
393 Posts
dvdirv said:
I should be picking up an '06 Prius in the next two weeks and want to put in Toyota's new XM Radio system.

I've been told that the tuner part is available, but not the mounting kit. Since you need both parts, Toyota's XM cannot currently be installed.

Anyone know what the holdup is and when Toyota will have its mounting kit available?
Really? I have Toyota's XM in my Prius. Mounted in the back. What it is, is it's a Toyota XM designed for the MR2, I believe. Still, it works with my '05, and that is with the display, and everything.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Check out
http://www.factoryinteractive.com/

They have all of the Toyota XM and Sirius systems. Back in the 04MY people were grafting the Toyota Solara XM unit to the Prius because the interface and communication to the radio were the same. People found mount points under the dash for the tuner. Some put the tuner in the back of the car. The Solara radio has remotely placed buttons, away from the head unit, but the communications technology that the Solara head unit uses is the same as the Prius in spite of the obvious difference, the Prius has a touch screen and the Solara does not. But it all worked from day 1.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
http://www.coastaletech.com/xm_radio_in_prius.htm
price on Nov. 17 2005: $299 with instructions, $349 with installation price includes free activation and 6 months service

http://www.factoryinteractive.com/PriusXM/
(formerly http://www.priusxm.com/ )
price on Nov. 17 2005: $295 with instructions, $395 with installation, $39 for instruction DVD only (no tuner)

one known Prius-friendly Toyota dealer has posted the installation instructions for the Toyota XM kit, and is offering it for sale here:
http://www.metrotpn.com/ProductDetails. ... ortIndex=5
price on Nov. 17 2005: $250
price includes free activation and 90 days of free XM service

your favorite Toyota parts department: ask for the Solara XM radio kit, part number PT546-06040

My understanding of the "upcoming" Prius XM kit from Toyota is that it may not have the 10? 14? character limitation of the current XM part listed above (new will display more characters).

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I beleive I read from some posters that there is supposed to be a Sirius accessory specific to the Prius. Supposedly it overcomes some of the limitations of the Solara version, mainly the display length.

The mounting kit should be the same as in the Solara version though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
dvdirv said:

I called my dealer today and he said that they have not received any info on the XM radio yet.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
itsnice2be said:
I called my dealer today and he said that they have not received any info on the XM radio yet.
Some Toyota dealers are in the loop and others are out of it. Rely on the information above and check out the links and sites that are provided.

Right now XM and Cirius are both very much aftermarket integrated items.

·
Registered
393 Posts
jeromep said:
itsnice2be said:
Right now XM and Cirius are both very much aftermarket integrated items.
Ah, no...not.

Tell that to my XM that displays the information on my MFD.

Not aftermarket, unless you count the Toyota peeps putting it in my Toyota, aftermarket installers. Then it's aftermarket.

Otherwise, it's just another Toyota option you can have.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I don't know about Ciriius, but my Sirius radio is a Toyota branded unit, sold by a Toyota dealer integrated with the MFD and steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
393 Posts
DanMan32 said:
Aftermarket means installed after factory production. They probably installed the Solaris unit.
Really? I did not know that. I always thought aftermarket was something you bought not from the dealer, or had installed by someone other then the dealer.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well, that's how I interpret it anyway. The aftermarket by your definition is also the solaris unit, but might be repackaged with the additional accessories to install into a Prius.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think there is some confusion here about the definition of aftermarket accessories. Aftermarket accessories are not installed by the factory nor by the dealer. Dealer installed accessories are installed by the dealer after the vehicle has been delivered to the dealership. Factory installed accessories may be installed at the manufacturing plant or in some cases at the port prior to delivery.

My dealer also told me the XM units would be available as a dealer installed option in late May. I wonder why there is a holdup.

·
Registered
94 Posts
milesahead said:
Thomas Brock said:
I live in the middle of nowhere!! :cry:
If you're in Jacksonville, you're just close to the middle of nowhere. My brother lives in Havelock, now that's in the middle of nowhere. :)
Heh, I was in Havelock for 4 years...And yes, HaveNOT certainly is way way in the middle of nowhere!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.