Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I dont see the price dropping for this years model. Maybe 2007 if they can acutally start researching ideas to lower the costs of the Hybrid systems.

It seems now that every other automaker is jumping on this too. The competition will at least spark each automaker to find ways to lower the costs anyways.

·
Registered
548 Posts
hyperion said:
Interesting desire. Maybe the bean counters can come up with something. It does seem as though the cost of the synergy system is still holding at $4500.00
Yeah... and there was another article recently where Toyota execs noted that the HiHy and RX400 weren't meeting sales expectations, which probably means that if you give the average buyer a choice between a conventional model and a hybrid model that costs 4.5K more and offers a few extra MPG, they're gonna go conventional. Think about it, if they offered a 1.5L Prius without HSD that got corolla milage and sold for 15K, it would probably outsell the hybrid Prius.

Hopefully they don't repeat the same mistake with the Camry.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
They also need to put pressure on dealers to at least not sell over MSRP, and even to deal. They need to teach the dealers that they really are only hurting themselves. Well, actually they are also hurting corporate Toyota also, since it gives Toyota a bad taste.

·
Registered
31 Posts
MSRP

Dan, when you say dealers should not sell over MSRP, do you expect that destination, dealer prep charges (I forget Toyota's exact terminology) will be extra or absorbed by MSRP?

Charlie

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Re: MSRP

cgraham said:
Dan, when you say dealers should not sell over MSRP, do you expect that destination, dealer prep charges (I forget Toyota's exact terminology) will be extra or absorbed by MSRP?

Charlie
No no.. not over invoice, but over MSRP. MSRP is the sticker, and includes the prep and destination. Some dealers are charging more than the "price tag" on the window, which is usually several thousand more than invoice price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
MSRP

Thanks for the clarification. I was quoted MSRP + nothing else for the dealer.
I thought delivery/prep was in addition to the MSRP & that I had a better than usual deal - why I checked. You'd think I had this figured out already, except I never buy new, and I haven't seen a Prius with a sticker on a lot yet.

I'm happy with MSRP + tax credit for '06 delivery and no tax in NM. Wish I knew if there would be a price increase. But it probably would not make a difference to the decision to buy.

Charlie

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Yes, many dealers add their own fee, on top of the port destination fee, the latter considered part of the final sticker MSRP. Personally, I think this is stupid. Do they ever pay stores of other merchandise a 'cost of doing business' fee (which is really what the dealer fee is)? I don't think so. They usually make enough in their margins, especially if they manage to sell at MSRP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts