Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd pass along some information that might help you when talking with your dealer regarding TSB's.

I contacted my local Toyota Dealer regarding TSB: EL010-04 i.e., Fuel Gauge Inaccuracy.

They had never heard of this TSB but had heard of this problem from some of their customers. When asked where I found this TSB number I directed the dealer/Prius mechanic to PriusOnline.com and explained what this site was all about. He laughed and stated that this site was not a Toyota sanctioned site. He told me if I could get him the TSB he would check it out, then was about to give me a Toyota phone number to call so "I" could do further research. I of course hung up on him. I guess he thought it was my job to do his.

I live in Southern California and we have a Toyota Dealer every few miles so I don't have to worry about doing business such arrogant people.

Taking a few minutes afterwards I located the TSB site. I went to Yahoo, entered the TSB number, "EL010-04" and clicked on the first site. All the TSB's are there. To go directly:

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/toyota/index-issue.html (you may have to copy and paste to make this work properly)

I contacted another local dealer who knew of the problem and TSB.

As this is a manufacturer problem, can someone tell me if it's the dealer's responsibility to give a free rental or is it up to the owner to pay for the rental.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Main Reason I purchased my Prius "which is so different from any other Toyota product" was a full eight year warranty that combined a free rental any time the car is in for overnight or longer service. This seems to be standard with every dealer in New England and may be a Toyota standard. Personally I wouldn't have come within ten feet of this new technology without that full warranty. I just hope I don't become a "demonstrator" for all new Toyota autos. I do like driving the Prius.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rental

I thought the dealer said they would supply the rental car at no cost if the car was not running. If I brought it in for this TSB I would have to pay for the rental as the car is operational. Hmmmm, maybe it's because they can fix it in one day.

I'll call Toyota to find out what's going on.

Maybe they'll take care of it due to the problem I had at the first dealer.

By the way, be sure to first read the TSB before bringing in your car. This one, TSB: EL010-04 states the car has to have 3/4 or less gas in the tank. Also, depending on your car they may have to replace the "combination meter computer" which has to be ordered from the vendor, "Yazaki", so they can program your mileage into the new one.

Sounds like it's going to be more than one trip into the dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gas Tank Filler/Gauge Inaccuracy

I just got my Prius back from the dealer. Since they had to replace the speedometer, it had to sit there until the "programmed" odometer was received (6 days). They provided a rental car and were very cheerful and pleasant about the whole thing. I gave them the TSB I downloaded and I have noticed an improvement in the gauge accuracy and in the amount of fuel I put in the tank.

·
Premium Member
2,820 Posts
TSBs

Sorry that you'll have to have a YahooID, but... This is one of the many TSBs that I've gathered over at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius-sat1/
most of the TSBs are in the Files section, but sometimes a text-only copy of it will be in the Message archives...

If anyone has a TSB that is not listed there, please post it there or send it to me so I can upload it for others!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts