i am guessing the fix is different but the end result is the same

the gas engine stalls due to a computer malfunction

the lights on the dashboard alert of a problem

and your stuck with no engine

·
Registered
582 Posts
stalling

I agree that there are some similarities, but perhaps also some important differences. As someone who has been through it with a 2001 Prius, I say let's put all we know on the table and see if better understanding results.

The analagous problem with the earlier model Prius is considered by technical service bulletin EG011-03. There may be low engine power output, failure to start, warning lights, and various stored trouble codes.

The most common fix there was replacement of the hybrid vehicle ECU, since in the old days it could not be reprogrammed. Warranteed in the US for 80k miles. In some instances, the fuel pump relay and or the fuel tank assembly were also replaced, and those were only free for 36k miles. California and the other "CARB states" got a break on the fuel tank if needed, because there the warranty was 70k miles.

I had this problem diagnosed and fixed for free in my 2001 Prius, needing only the HV ECU replaced. No problems since then.

As I understand the special service campaign 50P for the new model Prius, two computers are reprogrammed, and a cable connector to MG1 has waterproofing added to it. Nothing about fuel tank or fuel pump relay.

It seems to me that an important aspect of the problem is shared between both models, namely that if the gasoline engine does not start promptly, computer error codes are generated. Further, that part of the solution in both cases probably includes making the computer a bit more tolerant of a slower start. But as there are other important differences, I am not ready to consider them as completely the same thing.

Any other comments on similarities or differences?

DAS

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my problem has never been with starting the engine

it is with the engine stopping or stalling while driving

and a sudden loss of power.

i'm not sure of the reasons why this happening to the newer models

but if the exact same problem occurs on the classics

whatever the cause, as i assume it to be different,

should not all cars with this issue be recalled and fixed.

my service manager says there is no way to fix this

on the classics, i hope he is wrong

anyway, a new accelerator pedal assembly was replaced

on my car at the cost of $750can

and it did nothing as the power loss continues

but no stalls since and because it is impossible to duplicate

and happens only two to three times a day (i drive 250km)

the service department will not do anything else.

·
Registered
582 Posts
stalling

I'm sorry, I did not realize that you were facing an unresolved problem.

As your servicer has declared himself incapable, he must either be trained, or you must go elsewhere. Please do not believe that the car will present an "unfixable" problem. At least, not yet.

A further difficulty is that the service documents I refer to are from the US. I really do not know if the documents your people work from are any different. If you were anywhere near Vancouver, it would be tempting to send you to Andrew Grant's Prius mechanic. Surely someone here will know who that is.

The TSB EG011-03 (dated 12 June 2003) specifies earlier versions of the hybrid vehicle ECU be replaced with part number 89661-47054, and those earlier verions differ in the last two identifying digits. Thus, even if you have had this ECU replaced before, you still may not be current.

A matter of confusion for me is TSB 006-01, which is often discussed in connection with accelerator pedal problems. Here also the HV ECU is replaced, but here the part number is 89981-47040 (at least as of the 4 May 2001 TSB). This is where my knowledge runs out. There seem to be to distinct numering sequences for the hybrid vehicle ECU.

We need some local Canadians here to get you on the right track for service. Good luck.

DAS, 1500 miles to the south

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
assuming that Priustek (a Canadian repair technician) didn't read your message already elsewhere, you might have better luck asking about the accelerator pedal assembly for the Classic (symptoms usually referred to as the Big Hand Syndrome) over at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Canada-Prius/

Odd that Canada has had a service campaign for the throttle body on the Classic, but nothing about that in the US... (Service Campaign information is in the above group's files section.) Canada usually lags behind the US by a few months on service campaigns. (And the US usually lags behind Japan by about the same amount of time...)

·
Registered
582 Posts
stalling

Wow Michelle, this Canadian throttle body assembly replacement is entirely news to me!

I hope that it helps av and perhaps some other Canadians as well, and that I do not end up looking longingly at that border to the north.

DAS

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Re: stalling

tochatihu said:
Wow Michelle, this Canadian throttle body assembly replacement is entirely news to me!

I hope that it helps av and perhaps some other Canadians as well, and that I do not end up looking longingly at that border to the north.

DAS
In the US, the unclean throttle body is what often will throw that P3191 "engine did not start" code on a Classic on a random cold day. In the US, that means a new ECU through a different TSB, although I do not feel like looking it up at the moment.

US TSBs can be found in the Files > TSBs section of http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/groups/toyota-prius-sat1/ (but you must be a member to view the Files section...)

TSBs go by another name in Canada, and they do not always get the same ones as the US does. Most service campaigns start in Japan, come to the US a short period of time later, and sometime much later make their way to Canada. The throttle body campaign in Canada is the only one I'm aware of that Canada has and isn't found elsewhere... (For some reason I check the babelfish translation of the toyota.jp service campaign/recall site every so often...)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts