Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know if anyone installed a sound system in a Toyota Prius..
I want a sound system in mine but I don't know how it will work with the Hybrid System.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi Marian,

Welcome to the PriusOnline forums. I hope you find a home here.

In answer to your question, many people have installed their own sound systems in their Prius. There are certain installations that would have more integration than others with the existing display systems. You will be able to find the answers to your questions with just a few simple searches in this forum. If you have some specific questions after reviewing these posts, go ahead & post them, and many folks here would be happy to provide help.

Again, welcome to this online forum.

Louie

·
Registered
149 Posts
tunes

I've installed 2 six-inch sub woofers under the front seats, with the 200 W amp down below in the rear cargo "hold".

I've installed the iPod2car to run my 20 gig 4th gen iPod. It's so freakin' awesome to have 3,000 songs (capable of 2,000 more!) randomly playing thru the Prius radio.

I've also added rear tweeters, just because I could.

Next up is a fiberglass 8" sub box in the right rear "cubby", and maybe replace front speakers with new component speakers of better quality.

This is all in a #7 '04 (AM package) with the basic, non-JBL radio. It sounds SOOO much better with the sub woofers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi finman -

That sounds fantastic. I'm thinking if doing something similar (sub, ipod).

Did you do the work yourself, or go to a shop?

So, you're powering all the "regular" speakers in the car from the stereo, and the subs from the 200W? Are you able to get distortion-free loudness from the stock radio/speakers to match the level of the subs?

If you're in the bay area I'd love to get a listen.

Thanks,
EE

·
Registered
149 Posts
bay area...

Well, the bay area is over 1,500 miles away...hmmm...sure...road trip! Just kidding, but it wouldn't be out of the question...

Adding the subs has taken alot of "pressure" off the the stock speakers, since they really do poorly in reproducing decent bass.

I've turned down the bass level on the stock radio to one notch below half and the treble is maxed out.

As far as the subs go they are pretty well-matched to the stock speakers/radio output. Plus, I've installed a volume knob in the small blank knock-out panel to the right of the dimmer that controls the signal level going to the sub amp, thus with varying bass in all my songs, I can always turn up or down the bass level, matching any 'loudness' of the stock speakers.

Good luck on any projects you do. This car is as normal as anyone I've worked on, so be bold. I've done my own work on car systems for 15 years now. The Prius is great, but customizing it makes it greater.

Any other questions just ask. I love helping out in the Prius world.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts