Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watiching TV the other day and I heard that Toyota is working on a hybrid using diesel instead of gas???? I think the fuel savings would be alot better. Has anyone heard of this??????????

MYHYBRID....

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I heard an unconfirmed rumor that next step on Prius would get 75-85mpg. The speculation was that this would either be a diesel hybrid or a plug-in capability to keep the battery at max power.

Or maybe both ?

Diesel is a reasonable speculation now that "dirty" diesel is being replaced with clean fuel...and diesel is very popular in Europe.

·
Registered
279 Posts
hyperion said:
All this and all I read in the auto journals is about States (mine included) about to pass laws prohibiting diesels in passenger cars account of emmissions.
Diesel hybrids can have vastly reduced emissions compared to standard diesels. Even Ford have been able to show this with the Mercury Meta-One drivetrain (97% less nitric oxide than Tier 1 emissions standard for NOx).

" As the world's first PZEV-capable diesel, the Mercury Meta One concept shows that diesels that can be as clean as the cleanest gasoline engines,"

(Quote taken from http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/extras/news/01_10_05_mer_meta_one.asp)

Once you have an electric buffer, you can get rid of all the transients and other conditions where a conventional diesel engine is forced to spill out emissions. Instead you can just run the engine all the time electronically controlled to remain within the clean window of operation. Doing this can lead to a diesel easily as clean as a Prius, more so if you use biodiesel.

BTW, the potential of diesel-hybrids has not been missed by Toyota, who have made some progress in this area too. (eg the ES3 concept, achieving 87 mpg US).

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
hyperion said:
All this and all I read in the auto journals is about States (mine included) about to pass laws prohibiting diesels in passenger cars account of emmissions.
Huh? Can you provide a pointer? I haven't read of any such move.

·
Registered
257 Posts
richard schumacher said:
hyperion said:
Huh? Can you provide a pointer? I haven't read of any such move.
California banned sale of diesel cars effective 1 January 2004

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
"California banned diesel cars..."

Yes, and no. It's less that the cars are banned, and more that no existing diesel cars can meet the strict emissions standard.

California's low emission vehicle II (LEV) program imposes strict emission standards on motor vehicles. Diesel vehicles that meet the existing Fed standards might not meet the California standards. Some states have opted in to the California standards (Cal, NY, Maine, Mass, Vt, and soon NJ).The Fed diesel standards tighten with model year 2006, so all states will be subject to the stricter rule, unless the Feds back away (always a possibility).

Ultra low sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuel, which EPA has mandated for use beginning in mid-2006, should help modern diesel vehicles meet the stricter standards.

Not a legal opinion or analysis, but a distillation of what I've been reading lately.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yay - that would be great!!

I would LOVE to see a Prius diesel... My hubby already uses bio-diesel in his Jetta TDI, and I would dearly love to tell OPEC to royally kiss my backside by completely leaving them in the dust (when possible). I am 45 minutes from one of the only bio-diesel refineries on the east coast, and hubby happens to drive by there on a regular basis. SOOO, he could always fill up a couple of 5 gallon tanks for me and bring it back so I could put it in mine... Heck, it might be enough to get him to sell the Jetta and buy a Prius for himself!! Oooh, the possibilities!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts