Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has there been any word on Toyota selling a hybrid version of the FJ in the US?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ken S said:
Has there been any word on Toyota selling a hybrid version of the FJ in the US?
No.

I have never heard of anything relating to the FJ. Only general promises that eventually everything will have a hybrid option.

You'll never see high milage anyways. The FJ has the aerodynamics of a brick. And has the gas milage to match! At highway speeds drag is your limiting factor.

Hybrids help, but only so much. Trucks are inherently less efficient.

·
Registered
258 Posts
So what if you'll "never see high mileage anyways"? Is that a reason not to do it?

The point is not to get X miles per gallon. So the Prius gets 50, 60mpg. So? Does that mean every hybrid vehicle should get that?

No.

What you're looking for is a gain, a percentage. If the FJ gets 18mpg with a standard drivetrain, it would be superb to use a hybrid drivetrain to boost that to, say, 28mpg.

If you decide not to "bother" with a hybrid drivetrain simply because "it won't get the same 60mpg that I can get in my Prius," then what's the point of hybrid technology at all?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Too many people think that hybrid technology will eleminate our problems we have due our oil consumption. For "free".

Kind of like "weight loss" pills. All gain, no work.

If those who commute with SUVs (and yes, 90%+ don't tow boats) bought a nice car instead, we'd reduce our oil imports by 33%. And a nice car is hardly a sacrifice.

Hybridization is less effective than rightsizing. It is simply "extra credit".

And yes, I tow a boat with my hybrid sedan...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need a 4WD vehicle for towing a boat and riding the sand (surf fishing).
A hybrid vehicle would have two great advantages.

1. It could increase the efficiency substantially? It doesn't have to get 50MPG...but getting 25 - 30 would be great and make it feasible for other uses.

2. Electric motors have tremendous torque making them fantastic for towing.

Yes, you can tow a boat with a car, but sometimes it's not the safest thing to do AND if you're pulling out of a steep dirt/sand boat ramps you could have issues if you don't have 4WD.

This FJ will never be on a highway nor ever go over 50MPH as it will be kept on an Island where the top speed limit is 45.

The right tool for the job is the better way to go. Making that tool as efficient as possible works for everyone.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ken S said:
How big is your boat?

Check out the Escape Hybrid for running on sand. The Highlander is a limited AWD type of system. Only an electric motor powers the rears. There is no transfer case or driveshaft to the rear. The Escape is a more "traditional" setup.

My boat is a 17' sailboat. I took the boat and trailer to a truck stop (they always weigh more than advertised...) and weighed in at 720 lbs.

People have towed as much with a Prius, but I wasn't too crazy about that. The Highlander tows 3500 lbs, but it was complete overkill. The Camry was perfect. More power and weight than the Prius, and much better economy than the Highlander. Fortunately I have always found paved ramps. I have seen a few unpaved ones, but I was always able to find a paved one to the same body of water. (Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois)

I get about 27 MPG on the freeway, 30-33 on highways trailering. 40 MPG+ otherwise.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
n8kwx said:
Ken S said:
How big is your boat?

Check out the Escape Hybrid for running on sand. The Highlander is a limited AWD type of system. Only an electric motor powers the rears. There is no transfer case or driveshaft to the rear. The Escape is a more "traditional" setup.

My boat is a 17' sailboat. I took the boat and trailer to a truck stop (they always weigh more than advertised...) and weighed in at 720 lbs.

People have towed as much with a Prius, but I wasn't too crazy about that. The Highlander tows 3500 lbs, but it was complete overkill. The Camry was perfect. More power and weight than the Prius, and much better economy than the Highlander. Fortunately I have always found paved ramps. I have seen a few unpaved ones, but I was always able to find a paved one to the same body of water. (Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois)

I get about 27 MPG on the freeway, 30-33 on highways trailering. 40 MPG+ otherwise.
It's a 21-foot Grady White. Not likely that a Camry or Prius would tow it safely.
The Escape doesn't really tow either.
I've got a couple of years left in my existing 4WD...I'll have to wait and see what comes out.

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ken S said:
It's a 21-foot Grady White. Not likely that a Camry or Prius would tow it safely.
Not even close!

The highest tow rating right now is the Highlander - 3500 lbs. You are probably well over that with the trailer, fuel, etc.

They might not get a lot of respect, but you might check out the "dual-mode" hybrids coming out soon by GM and Chrysler. Those will likely be rated at 5000+ lbs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts