Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A top official at GM said September 21 that rival Toyota Motor Corporation's "reputation for quality is not well earned in recent years".
Do you concur or disagree with this statement? Why? :?:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I can't say cause I never had a Toyota built in America. All our Toyotas were from Japan (as stated in the driver's door jamb). If GM's talking about interior plastics and panel gaps, I'll disagree. I've sat in Nissans and Mazdas and I can already feel a noticeable difference in quality of interior materials and body panel gaps (inside and out). Even the $50k Murano I tested didn't exude the quality feel I get from our Camry.

·
Registered
610 Posts
:roll: What a waste of bandwidth.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Remember the phrase, taken to heart by this GM shill, "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bull$hit."

·
Registered
85 Posts
littleboy said:
A top official at GM said September 21 that rival Toyota Motor Corporation's "reputation for quality is not well earned in recent years".

I think that statement is along the same lines as a campaigning politician saying to the public that his or her closest rival is known for kidnapping and eating small children... :roll:

·
Registered
548 Posts
littleboy said:
Based on the fit and finish, and breakdown history, of my Prius, I would agree with this.

Within 3 days, car completely dies.
Within 15 days, car dies again.

There are noticable gaps and misaligned panels on the dash, and the fabric covering the center armrest is coming off. Again. Lots of squeaks and rattles.

All in all, a step down from my previous car (VW) in terms of fit and finish.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I'll put my trust in JD Powers and other independent raters, and not rely on single-car experiences. JDP thinks Toyota earns their rep, and that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Jonnycat26 said:
That shouldn't count if you don't also inform people that it was a matter of very, very bad timing (and poor dealer responsiveness).

It was a known problem that already had a fix available, but hadn't been applied to your own Prius yet.

·
Registered
548 Posts
john1701a said:
Jonnycat26 said:
That shouldn't count if you don't also inform people that it was a matter of very, very bad timing (and poor dealer responsiveness).

It was a known problem that already had a fix available, but hadn't been applied to your own Prius yet.
Actually, John, at the time the whole not well sealed insulator thing wasn't quite a known problem. And I don't see how it was very, very bad timing at all?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
littleboy said:
Consider the source... Read Consumers Report and see how they rate quality between GM and Toyota vehicles.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Jonnycat26 said:
Actually, John, at the time the whole not well sealed insulator thing wasn't quite a known problem.
It was known. That's why I got attacked when pointing it out. Remember?

The fix and problem detail was certainly hard to come by back then, but it did in fact exist.

Your dealer not having that info yet or not having responded appropriately yet was the timing problem. Those that followed, got the fix and didn't have the problem.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Look where this is leading! SURE, some unnamed "TOP" GM official made that stupid remark in what mens room?
Stating unverified facts like this are just made to "stir the pot." Baloney!
Was anything like this published in the N.Y. or L.A. Times, or on CNN or Fox news? Or maybe Motor Trend or the National Enquirer!
Just look how some folks jumped right into this one.

·
Registered
548 Posts
john1701a said:
Your dealer not having that info yet or not having responded appropriately yet was the timing problem. Those that followed, got the fix and didn't have the problem.
So I should say I had no quality problems then?

·
Registered
60 Posts
littleboy said:
:

And the poor quality of GM's cars IS well earned !

I want to thank him for his words of wisdom while I wait in line for a 2006 prius.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hyperion -- it was reported aparently by Reuters News, September 22, 2005, his name was John Smith, GM Vice President of global product planning.

Is that still stirring the pot?

Or is that the liberal media?

Or does Toyota put too many ads on Reuters?

whats it going to be?

Spike

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
GM is losing two billion dolllars a year. They got nothin'. All that's left for them is to badmouth their strongest competitor and hope it scares the weak-minded.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Hyperion -- it was reported aparently by Reuters News, September 22, 2005, his name was John Smith, GM Vice President of global product planning.

Is that still stirring the pot?

Or is that the liberal media?

Or does Toyota put too many ads on Reuters?

whats it going to be?

Spike

........Spike, I'll confess to not being all that sharp searching the net, but I have checked out every article on Reuters website for Sept 22nd with "no joy"

Since the remark makes no sense, I still believe it to be fabricated.

·
Registered
455 Posts
So CNN and Money magazine are just making it up to make GM look bad?

http://money.cnn.com/2005/09/21/news/fo ... yota.reut/

took me all of 2 seconds to find on CNN,com, searched under "John Smith GM"

And of course the comment made no sense, neither does their design or engineering departments. The company is so poorly run it is laughable, if so many peoples lives wren't caught up in it. How much did they pay to not buy Fiat group?

The fact that Toyota is now the #2 automaker, wouldn't be making them nervous, would it?

ahh, HYPErion, you make it too easy on me

they are alos finally starting to look at cutting costs

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 01&sc=1000

Ahh, gas crises anyone? Let's roll out our new line of full and mid sized trucks and SUVs -- it is the perfect time
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103218

Spike

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Consumer Reports 2005 Auto Issue. Page 10. Ten vehicle categories rating the "Most Satisfying" in each. (based on over 250,000 responses to CR 2004 Annual Questionaire).

First place ranking:

SMALL CAR: Toyota Prius

FAMILY/LARGE SEDAN: Toyota Avalon

UPSCALE/LUXURY SEDAN: Toyota Lexus LS 430

SPORTS CAR: Honda S2000

COUPES/CONVERTIBLES: Toyota Lexus SC430

MINIVAN: Toyota Sienna

SMALL SUV: Honda Element

MIDSIZE SUV: Toyota Lexus RX330

LARGE SUV: Toyota Land Cruiser

PICKUP TRUCK: Toyota Tundra

:eek: :) :D :lol:

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Spike I told you I was not skilled at finding facts. You stated Reuters, I checked Reuters. If you had stated CNN I might have found that.
But back to the original post, it is too bad that it did not have the URL that you posted.
As to the article, I thought it interesting. Taken in context it made a little more sense.
I would expect even GM was surprised that Toyota would have a 900,000 car recall.
I see nothing at all wrong with recalls. They are important to correct defects and a trend in part failures that "slip through"

1 - 20 of 39 Posts