Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota have built a "track" version of the Prius. The engine has been tweaked to up power from 77 to 99bhp, and the motor from 68 to 82bhp. The battery in the track version gets extra cooling, allowing an increase in maximum battery output from 34bhp (stock) to 46bhp. The interior has been stripped out to lose weight, and the suspension has been tuned all round too.

No pictures I'm afraid!

More here:

8)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Probably good for advertisement, but also conflicting with Prius initial philosophy ; particularly, can an engine having its peak power at 6500 rpm still use the Atkinson cycle ? Hmmm.... :?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm excited by the idea of proving that Toyota's Hybrid technology is not benign - I'm glad Toyota's trying to push the envelope instead of settling for "good enough".

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can an engine having its peak power at 6500 rpm still use the Atkinson cycle ?
Hmmm, that's an interesting point. Presumably all they've done is remove the 'late' inlet valve closing that they use to make a Miller cycle like 'Atkinson' simulation. Got me thinking, seeing as the VVT on all of todays Toyotas is electronically controlled from an ECU, surely you should be able to 'rechip' these models with an aftermarket piggy-back/replacement chip to alter the inlet valve timing under certain conditions to give a low power / high efficiency Atkinson-cycle like effect? Could this not then mean that the Prius style Atkinson-cycle effect could be added aftermarket to all new Toyotas, ie doing the reverse of what they've done with the track Prius, with just a rechip?

·
Registered
928 Posts
clett said:
can an engine having its peak power at 6500 rpm still use the Atkinson cycle ?
Hmmm, that's an interesting point. Presumably all they've done is remove the 'late' inlet valve closing that they use to make a Miller cycle like 'Atkinson' simulation. Got me thinking, seeing as the VVT on all of todays Toyotas is electronically controlled from an ECU, surely you should be able to 'rechip' these models with an aftermarket piggy-back/replacement chip to alter the inlet valve timing under certain conditions to give a low power / high efficiency Atkinson-cycle like effect? Could this not then mean that the Prius style Atkinson-cycle effect could be added aftermarket to all new Toyotas, ie doing the reverse of what they've done with the track Prius, with just a rechip?
From the description, it sounds more likely that they replaced the long dwell intake cams of the Prius with normal dwell length. Quite possibly just substituting an Echo engine (same block, different valves/cams). It probably wasn't just a "rechipping", so an aftermarket Atkinson-cycle kit for other Toyotas probably requires a new intake cam with the longer dwell as well as "rechipping".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts