Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NY Times says Toyota plans to sell 1 milllion in 2010 and that in the "future" 100% of its sales will be hybrids.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me at all! The dealership where we bought ours can't keep them in stock. I went over to get my 1000 mi oil change and the salesmen were all over me asking if I wanted to sell it back to them. --They were teasing me --of couse! I told them get away from me and my girl! :) I'd shoot them if they try to take her away from me!

·
Registered
38 Posts
smogopa said:
Wouldn't surprise me at all! The dealership where we bought ours can't keep them in stock. I went over to get my 1000 mi oil change and the salesmen were all over me asking if I wanted to sell it back to them. --They were teasing me --of couse! I told them get away from me and my girl! :) I'd shoot them if they try to take her away from me!
Here's a thought. The other day I was wondering as I was leaving my car in an unfamilar place, if the Prius demand continues to increase along with the price of gas, I wonder if we will start to see this car become the #1 target of car thieves? Can they steal the car without the fob? Is it possible to "hot wire" a Prius? [Shudder...]

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Check the recent previous posts. They are almost unstealable. They are the last thing a kid would steal for a joyt-ride and there is no market for spare parts, as there are very few who can work on them The consensus drawn is that they are unstealable unless you leave your keys in them and the doors unlocked with the engine running.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
They're also considered "slow" by the thieves anyway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hyperion said:
They are the last thing a kid would steal for a joy-ride and there is no market for spare parts, as there are very few who can work on them.
I wasn't thinking about kid's joy-riding or spare parts, I was considering a situation where the car becomes so hard to get and so desirable (because of their economy of gas) as gas prices continue to rise that they might become a target of professional car theives if they can figure out a way to bypass the fob I suppose.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
And my remarks were just made to the fact that they can't be stolan unless you leave your smart key in the ignition with the engine running.
Towing them would be a option but even then a Prius tech would have a hard time getting it running without the key.
All my friends and neighbors find my car very interesting and practical but even with $3.30 gas, not one is interested in owning one.
In short, I wouldn't think there would be a market for one without a complete paper record.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I suppose if one could get an immobilizer reset to factory new, then swap it with the one in the car, then maybe. And that's assuming a fob is/can be paired with it. You'd need the Toyota scanner to pair the 'new' immobilizer with the HV ECU.
Doing this in the street is not practical. It would take too long and draw too much attention. But if you flatbed it to a shop, then you can spend some time on it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So, if this renders the car essentially "unstealable" (and I'm not doubting that it does), I wonder why every car manufacturer wouldn't at least make this an option, hence putting car thieves essentially out of business (at least for new cars).

·
Registered
928 Posts
nh_jim said:
So, if this renders the car essentially "unstealable" (and I'm not doubting that it does), I wonder why every car manufacturer wouldn't at least make this an option, hence putting car thieves essentially out of business (at least for new cars).
I suspect they will in time. I've seen posts from owners of other brands (and even other Toyota models) saying that their cars have electronic keyed theft protection that will disable the engine in case the key code is not presented properly. Seems to be a mostly high-end thing now, but I think it's starting to spread. Watch the 2006 line-up for clues.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
What do you mean by electronic key theft protection?

Most master keys have a chip built into the metal part of the key

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The Prius has more than just your average resistor in a mechanical key.

The key has been replaced by a key fob. The fob communicates with the computer. That's it. Only the key fob will start the car. You can't start the Prius by breaking into the dashboard or steering wheel column.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
hyperion said:
Check the recent previous posts. They are almost unstealable. They are the last thing a kid would steal for a joyt-ride and there is no market for spare parts, as there are very few who can work on them The consensus drawn is that they are unstealable unless you leave your keys in them and the doors unlocked with the engine running.
The Hybrid Batterys are very sought after though. but agree, almost impossible to steal a Prius _unless_ towed away !

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
When it comes to security, there are a few places of vunerabiliy.
1. the key.
2. the key decoder
3. the mechanism that provides the lock.
4. the device that is locked.

for a traditional mechanical key, you can duplicate the key, pick the tumblers, remove the tumbler and turn the switch/bolt, or bypass the switch/bolt by jumpstarting (in the case of a car) or removing the door (in the case of an entry door).

In the case of the Prius, you have the fob, the immobilizer ECU, the HV ECU/Engine ECU.
You could duplicate the effects of the fob or brute force find the initial code # and the code sequence algoritm. It is suspected though that the unpowered RFID has a fixed code.
Removing the fob reader wouldn't do you a lot of good.
You could trick the immobilizer somehow to accept your own fob as an additional fob. Not likely without an existing accepted fob.
You could bypass the immobilizer and tell the HV ECU to turn on. This might work, but the immobilizer and HV ecu communicate over an encrypted dedicated link. The secureness of this link is not known, but I do believe it is a fixed shared secret.
You could replace the immobilizer with a new one that has a fob already paired with it. From the factory, the immobilizer will allow a one time pairing with the HV ECU but you need the Toyota scanner to do it. It might be possible to cause the immobilizer to go to factory reset, after which it could be paired to the HV ECU.
Without the HV ECU, you are unlikely to get the engine started. Even if you could get the engine started and the ECM properly maintaining it, without the hybrid system working, you aren't going to get ICE to turn the wheels. In a traditional car though, the ECM would be the component to hack to get things moving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In other words Dan man32 nobody can steal the car am I right??? Good lord if you are a knowledgeable person!!!

This forum is sometimes soooooo educative!!!

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I am saying it would be difficult. Certainly wouldn't be practical for a joyride, but could be flatbedded to a shop and have the security components replaced at a more leisure pace.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts