Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Thursday, Nov 12, I received a call from a representative of Toyota USA. This call was in answer to a complaint I had made in May of this year concerning the inaccuracy of the NAV. System. She explained That Toyota has been aware of the problem with the original navigation system software and has been working with the supplier on the upgrade.

Toyota has finally completed the Navigations system upgrade and will be sending a letter on November 15th. to each of the twenty two thousand, six hundred Prius owners who purchased a package nine car which contained the Navigation System.

The upgrade will be performed at the dealer at no charge [free]. The upgrade is contained on a CD, or DVD, [she was not clear what the media would be.

Once you have received the letter you should call the dealer for an appointment and the upgrade can be done while you wait. Once the upgrade is completed, you will be given the CD containing the upgrade to keep.

Arizona Charlie

·
Registered
397 Posts
arizona charlie said:
On Thursday, Nov 12, I received a call from a representative of Toyota USA. This call was in answer to a complaint I had made in May of this year concerning the inaccuracy of the NAV. System.
Good work Arizona Charlie. It may have taken a little while, but the system worked. Here's hoping it is an effective fix.

Drive happy,
Moo :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
SOUNDS GREAT ! I bought my Prius slightly used and have sent in the "Owner Information Change Form." My Prius is Package #8 - BG which does include the NAV system (somewhat outdated by now).

Arizona Charlie, or anyone: Do you think I should call Toyota individually to register a comment or complaint to "get on the list" for an upgrade?

Thanks for your comments !! :D -Charles Suitt- Dallas TX

·
Registered
610 Posts
**Check PriusChat.com** - "Letter about FREE NAV DVD update"

Text of the Toyota letter is provided in downloadable .pdf format. NOTE: This update must be done pre 12/31/2004 per the letter's text.

Also, the following post provides a list of the VINs eligible.

I'm calling first thing Monday morning.

-Charles Suitt- Dallas TX

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great news. I got my new prius 3 weeks ago and very diappointed with Toyota NAV. I wrote a very nasty letter bashing their navigation system compared to my 3 year old PDA Navigation (Navman on Compaq). Our 6+ year old neighborhood is not there, many addresses are wrong, can not rely on that. (I landed at wrong place, completely confused once) Only POIs appear to be fine. My $200/- old PDA navigation (uses NavTech maps) is 100 times better in accuracy and maps :x

·
Registered
610 Posts
I note that the Dealer Letter "Limited Service Campaign (LSC) - 40J Navigation System DVD Software update" specifies Generation 4 nav systems.

QUESTION: How can I determine what "Generation" my Nav System is ?

My DVD is Version 3.1 (an early 2004 Prius). My VIN falls well within the covered range.

THANKS..!! -Charles Suitt- Dallas TX

·
Registered
17 Posts
BIF, are you sure you dont mean Dual-Layer DVD? that would be 9.5GB, ive never seen a double sided disc before.
and fyi, most writable cds can store about 700MB.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You Don't Have to Turn it Over

Nav is on a Dual-Layer DVD. BIF is right.

Charles S. should contact the person he bought the Prius from, if possible. That original owner got the letter and it contains a request to tell Toyota how to contact the present owner, if known.

·
Registered
610 Posts
***OOPS*** My error, the DVD update program ends 12/31/2005 so we have more than a year to avail ourselves of the update.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am so relieved to hear this news. I actually brought my unreadable Prius Navigation Owner's Manual IN THE HOUSE this morning, so I could try yet again to figure out how to use this defective add-on to my Package 9 car.

I haven't received my letter, but I'll be calling my salesman and Prius mechanic to alert them of its existence.

I'm crossing my fingers...because, hey - maybe my new GPS will finally be able to figure out where we live...which this one can't do, no matter how often I fiddle with or try to fine-tune it.
SF

·
Registered
319 Posts
My Prius is in the dealer right now for a Check Engine light. I told my service rep to see if they can perform the DVD update, while he said that he hadn't heard anything yet, and he wasn't surprised because he said "Us Prius people hear everything first". So, lets hope it in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The navigation upgrade is great news - I set my destination for The Conservatory of Flowers in San Francisco and it mapped a destination to some neighborhood next to Golden Gate Park - Cookie (my nav. girls name) says as nice as you please, "you've reached your destination" - she was only a couple of miles off and we found it pretty quickly but, hey now - didn't we pay an awful lot extra for that nav. system?

I'll be very happy to bring her in for an upgrade...AND my free oil change...

Love my Prius!

·
Registered
13 Posts
ChasSuitt said:
**Check PriusChat.com** - "Letter about FREE NAV DVD update"

Text of the Toyota letter is provided in downloadable .pdf format. NOTE: This update must be done pre 12/31/2004 per the letter's text.

Also, the following post provides a list of the VINs eligible.

I'm calling first thing Monday morning.

ChasSuitt,
Do you have the link to where this .PDF can be downloaded from?

Thanks
D.C.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the upgrade done today on my 2004 Prius. I was the first to be done at my dealer. It seemed to take the service dude a LONG time to figure out how to take the cover plate off of the DVD drive under the driver's seat and pop out the old DVD. I watched him while the "read" the same two pages (mostly pictures with a little text) over and over.... In any event, I had lots of time to look at those same two pages myself. The one thing that caught my eye was the statement that the update DVD for this LSC is version 4.2, specifically. The DVD comes from a special source, not part of the usual parts ordering system. It made me wonder whether or not those who wait until late 2005 will STILL get version 4.2. Only time will tell...

There is clearly a new database compared to my old version, 3.3. I live in a rapidly developing area and all the newer roads in my vicinity had been added. It would appear that the data has been updated within the last 6 months (at least for me).

·
Registered
610 Posts
HI wacko999

You can download the .pdf file here:

www.PriusChat.com - Prius Main Forum - MERGED: Toyota Announces Free NAV DVD upgrade. The first posting (by Arizona Charlie) contains a download link for "40jowner.pdf" Toyota seems to get very verbose, so this .pdf prints out 14 pages of involved instructions intended for the Technician.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
ChasSuitt said:
HI wacko999

You can download the .pdf file here:

www.PriusChat.com - Prius Main Forum - MERGED: Toyota Announces Free NAV DVD upgrade. The first posting (by Arizona Charlie) contains a download link for "40jowner.pdf" Toyota seems to get very verbose, so this .pdf prints out 14 pages of involved instructions intended for the Technician.

Hope this helps.
Yes, but you can only see files available for downloading (and download them) IF you are a member of priuschat AND logged in when viewing the thread. If you're not logged in, you don't see the file there, and that confuses many people. (It did for me on another topic several months back...)

·
Registered
319 Posts
My service rep called me today, then I just showed up to the dealer, he took my car swaped the DVD, I signed a paper and left. 10 min's tops. The only thing I have noticed so far is that they have all the new resturants in my area which is totally awesome!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts