Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends car was towed by a sleazy towing company for being parked illegally. It was actually OK, towing company made a mistake. It was towed with rear wheels off the ground and dollys under the front wheels only becausemy friend had left the front wheels turned and the steering wheel was locked (rear wheel drive car).

My question is what would happen to a Prius if it was towed rather than being put on a flat bed truck? I have read that it is not good for the car. If you are not around to tell a tow truck operator how to tow it, how likely are they to know how it should be done? They might know it is a front wheel drive car but do they always use dollys under the wheels that are on the ground?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Answer: If they tow it with the front wheels on the ground you bill them for a new PSD. But I doubt many companies do it that way.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
The way they towed it is ok. As long as they don't tow it like KTPhil describes, you should be ok

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
towing methods are listed in the owner's manual with diagrams. preferred method is a flatbed truck. avoid a sling truck. as long as the Prius' front wheels are off of the ground (FWD), you are fine. (tow with front wheels raised, rear wheels on the ground, or rear wheels raised and front wheels on a towing dolly)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts