Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you tow a Prius behind a motorhome with all 4 wheels on the ground? If so, is there a towing connection on the front of the car?

·
Registered
81 Posts
stancy said:
Can you tow a Prius behind a motorhome with all 4 wheels on the ground? If so, is there a towing connection on the front of the car?
No, sorry, unless you find a way of lifting the front wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
The Prius cannot be dinghy towed with all 4 wheels down, much like most other automatics. You can put the front wheels, or all 4 wheels, onto a dolly and tow it that way. (if needed in an emergency you can tow for a short distance at slow speeds with all four wheels down and someone steering the vehicle...)

Look in your owner's manual, or check the FAQ at http://toyota.custhelp.com/ (lists which Toyota models from about 1993 can be dinghy towed)

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
If you do tow a short distance, you need to put the car into Ig-On before you can put the car into Neutral. In Off or ACC, the parking pawl is engaged, and cannot be manually disengaged.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Neutral manual Mode

DanMan32 said:
If you do tow a short distance, you need to put the car into Ig-On before you can put the car into Neutral. In Off or ACC, the parking pawl is engaged, and cannot be manually disengaged.
Hmm, Toyota should have incorporated or leave the feature same as on the 'Classic' They used to come with manual release under the dash at
driver's side. I remember in those days, so many time the ACC battery
will go flat and if we couldn't find a Jump Starter in order to push the Prius
back to the shop the Tech just released the _detent_ very easily. No need or we could'nt engage it to IG-ON with power depleated otherwise......

But then in those days, the drive-by-wire were hooked to the fuel supply
signal processing and then had the "Mechanical" Shift lever..

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Dinghy towing is pretty ungraceful no matter what the vehicle. With a car as nice as the Prius, I wouldn't just get a car dolly, to get the front wheels off the ground, I would get a full vehicle platform to tow it on. No extra mileage on any of the wheels and your vehicle is totally off the ground while you are underway. I would also suggest that in addition to the vehicle trailer that you get a nice thick car cover for it while it is in transit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
tow eyelet cover

So how does one pop off the cover of the tow eyelet on a 2004+ model? I'd hate to use a screwdriver or something else that would scratch it.

Louie

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
Re: tow eyelet cover

LouieNet said:
So how does one pop off the cover of the tow eyelet on a 2004+ model? I'd hate to use a screwdriver or something else that would scratch it.

Louie
a good strong fingernail, or perhaps a "credit card" like piece of plastic, should be able to pop the cover free. Don't worry about loosing it - it's on a tether.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts