Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Canadian Prius said:
I searched this site for this 'old news' (March 2005), but didn't find it here.

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2005_03/pr2901.htm

It looks like this might be the next step forward for hybrid batteries. Charging that fast could really take advantage of the available power when coasting down short hills.
Thanks for the info, had not seen that.

A minute is much less time than it takes to re-fill at a gas station...SO, lets think BIG, and go ALL ELECTRIC !, but keep the ICE on board for backup & as a charging device. 8)

Another great app. I use an electric scooter to get around. I have 2, a small one that comes apart easily & I carry in P* trunk, has about 6-8 mile range, and a large one, that I use from home to stores, library, etc.
Has 25 mile range. Charge time can be long.

This kind of charge time means a few minutes stop for a charge and we scooter/wheelchair people could have almost limitless range. :D

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I think this was covered before.

Sounds great, but I really doubt a minute recharge could be achieved for a car, unless the voltage is really, really high between the charger and the car. A charge requires current. A fast charge of a big charge capacity requires LOTS of current. High current requires really thick cable. The high current might be offset by high voltage. That's why power distribution cables are very high voltage; to keep the current down.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
DanMan32 said:
I think this was covered before.

Sounds great, but I really doubt a minute recharge could be achieved for a car, unless the voltage is really, really high between the charger and the car. A charge requires current. A fast charge of a big charge capacity requires LOTS of current. High current requires really thick cable. The high current might be offset by high voltage. That's why power distribution cables are very high voltage; to keep the current down.
I think you are probably right, Dan. What I expect we will see in practical application is useful batteries, for example, laptops, video cams, portable DVD players, etc will charge in a few minutes, which is outstanding when you consider today it is hours.

But do you feel this technology might allow a car battery to get a significant charge in 15min ? That is a typical quick stop for gas now. The local coffee shop hot spot could become a "refill" station in more ways than one :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.