Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
258 Posts
Don't top off. In addition to the owner's manual telling you not to, there are some actual stories that back this up--gallons of gas spewing back OUT the filler neck onto the driver, someone ruining an entire gas tank by having gas go between the bladder and the outside shell, etc.

Don't top off. When the handle clicks off, let it go. Just let it go.

· Registered
258 Posts
Yes, they do. I think Toyota screwed up with this bladder system, big time.

See the references on priuschat about the gas tank teardown as a result of overfilling, and the guy whose bladder burped up half a tank of gas right onto him as a result of his overfilling.

· Registered
140 Posts
hyperion said:
Since the car is warranted for three years I would guess that there is nothing anyone could do with a filler hose that could cause any damage to the tank. They don't build things "that way."
Here is one of the many PC threads that Adam references:

http://priuschat.com/forums/care-mainte ... amage.html

This comes from a Prius tech (posted by his wife).

· Registered
4,543 Posts
Looks as though there are some folks who attempt to do things with these cars that they have never thought of doing with their previous automobiles.
Fortunately the number is very low, as the car has held on to it's top reliable rating in each years edition of Consumer reports.
I',m sure if Toyota believed it to be any problem they would now be slipping the European tank in every car made.

· Registered
4,543 Posts
I wonder if the bladder is used in Japanese models and if Toyota gives a damn about the air breathed in the US or just a point to sell more cars. They haven't used a bladder in anything else with four wheels that they manufacture.
I believe they were after the California car market and since the first years models there were bringing in as much as $5,000 over MSRP, they probably were right.
It seems to me, over 50% of the posters here complain about the bladder and would "pass" on it, if given the chance.

· Registered
4,543 Posts
I wonder if the bladder is used in Japanese models and if Toyota gives a damn about the air breathed in the US or just a point to sell more cars. They haven't used a bladder in anything else with four wheels that they manufacture.
I believe they were after the California car market and since the first years models there were bringing in as much as $5,000 over MSRP, they probably were right.
It seems to me, over 50% of the posters here complain about the bladder and would "pass" on it, if given the chance.

· Registered
1,902 Posts
hyperion said:
hyperion, I believe the bladder is only for US spec Prius only. The bladder was inserted with in the metal tank so the emmission ( Evaporative vapor esacaping) through the filler tube.
Once the gas filler nozzle is removed from tank filling tube ,the baldder neck will tighten up and shut out the vapor escaping into the atmosphere. This bladder application earned Toyota the SULEV rating in the Gen I Prius and then AT=PZEV in Gen II. So I have been told...Now if you look at the CH or the Camry Hybrid has the same rating in 08 without the bladder. New technology fuel tank does not require the bladder anymore. So the next Gen Prius won't have the bladder tank anymore..

· Registered
4,543 Posts
Once the nozzel is removed from every tank of every car biuilt a door in the filler tube closes and the charcoal cannister does it's job for the envireament just as Rickey has described for the 08 Camry'
And Rick, from your post do you mean to say the 07 CH has a fuel cell in it's tank? (I haden't heard of that.)

· Registered
1,902 Posts
hyperion said:
Once the nozzel is removed from every tank of every car biuilt a door in the filler tube closes and the charcoal cannister does it's job for the envireament just as Rickey has described for the 08 Camry'
And Rick, from your post do you mean to say the 07 CH has a fuel cell in it's tank? (I haden't heard of that.)
hyperion, no Toyota uses the bladder just on the Prius marketed for USA only.
07 HH, 07 CH, has the regular gas tank construction.

No Japanese Prius model nor European model or for the rest of the world uses the Bladder ? USA has more stringent vapor emmision regulation for its AT-PZEV status and that is where the Bladder comes in.

· Registered
4,543 Posts
Interesting how little we know about the cars we purchase. I bought my Prius because I wanted to find out just how the hybrids work.
Are you telling me that the Honda Civic Hybrid does not meet the same AT-PVEV standards as the Prius. I thought they were similar because of the HOV lane stickers granted in California to both.
I know the Civic hybrid has neither the bladder tank nor the coolant recirculating system.

· Registered
1,902 Posts
hyperion said:
Interesting how little we know about the cars we purchase. I bought my Prius because I wanted to find out just how the hybrids work.
Are you telling me that the Honda Civic Hybrid does not meet the same AT-PVEV standards as the Prius. I thought they were similar because of the HOV lane stickers granted in California to both.
I know the Civic hybrid has neither the bladder tank nor the coolant recirculating system.
hyperion,

When the Gen I Prius came out they were all classified as Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicles.
Now this moniquer has changed to : AT-PZEV

I'm saying that the Bladder continued as integral part of the Gen II Prius as well. I remember the 1st Civic Hybrid were classified as: ULEV san the "Super" The CA sticker is given to vehicle averaging more 45 mpg and minimum emmision standard of: ULEV....
The HH and the CH with its regular tank, are classified as : SULEV, if they get 45 mpg they also would deserve the CA stickers but the MPG is not there.

· Registered
1,902 Posts
hyperion said:
Thanks Rickey. Between golf and football I thought I would just "keep you company!"
(Too cold and windy here to do anything else.)
hyperion, Golfing today? I envy you! I missed in meeting you years back when you were enroute to Pebble Beach, remember...

Anyway:

Today is Sunday but our service is open now 7 days, and my Prius Certified Master Tech
was on duty and walked in to the showroom. So I started this topic with him and he replied:

Well, Toyota has been telling us, since its 1st Prius introduction here in 01, we the techs have been asking Toyota as to why the Bladder ? Toyota said: The technology then back in 97 ( when Gen I was lauched ) instead of using the charcoal canister for trapping evaporative
fume emmission, they wanted the SULEV rating so went with the more expensive bladder.
If Toyota were to adopt the Japan and the overseas Prius 97~03 fuel tank, it only have gotten the ULEV rating. Thus the Bladder, Toyota wanted to get the World's cleanest production vehicle moniquer. Once this Bladder tank was in production and its parts supplier commisioned to produce them, it has to be for a long production run ( Economy of scale you know ) parts supplier has to make a profit on them too.

But the long over-due and sought after Gen III Prii will have less costly but still eyeing to go beyond the now cleanest standard USA= Advanced Technology partial zero emmision vehicle
status. So does this mean that Toyota will be way ahead again from the rest of World Auto manufacturers. How about the Super AT-PZEV status!

· Registered
344 Posts
actually the hihy and the hycam have a sealed metal tank, it's more than just a regular tank but far better than this bladder stuff we have in the prius. i don't recall offhand but i know DH had me post some info about it somewhere in priuschat. let's all hope the next prius has this sealed metal deal instead.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts