Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This is my first posting here and I got a call from Frontier Toyota, Los Angeles, CA that Sea side Pearl with package 8 is on its way to them and I went ahead and paid half amount to reserve it. All the paper work is done and they are selling this package at MSRP no premium. :p
Changed the subject line to reflect recent change in place.

·
Registered
457 Posts
All the paper work is done and they are selling this package at MSRP no premium.
Well... Good for you... :D That's the way it oughta be.
I had a similar experience with my San Diego dealer in 2004 except I had no money on the table. I've never had any reason to regret my rather spontaneous purchase. ~JD~

·
Registered
919 Posts
Talk about spontaneous. From researching the Prius to visiting the dealer, taking a test drive, bringing my husband in to take a look, and taking possession of my 2005, 36 hours had elapsed. I've never made such a quick car purchase. As a matter of fact, I vow to never buy before looking around. This time, I did make phone calls to other dealerships, but the purchase was really a whirlwind experience with not a minute's regret. 8)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Glad to hear Frontier is coming correct these days. When I started shopping for my car in the spring of 2004, they gave me a very ill-informed once-over of their test vehicle, whose key was AWOL, so no test drive was possible. The weren't very forthcoming about pricing and availability either.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: Ordered package 8 at Frontier Toyota at MSRP 2 weeksdeli

mchinta said:
Hi all,
This is my first posting here and I got a call from Frontier Toyota, Los Angeles, CA that Sea side Pearl with package 8 is on its way to them and I went ahead and paid half amount to reserve it. All the paper work is done and they are selling this package at MSRP no premium. :p
They ain't done with you yet ! ! !

Excuse the length.....

I was one of their victims, opps, I meant customers, last August. They pulled their "Special pricing" (that $3000 "Because we can" fee) out of no where. It appeared on the four-square game they play with you. I may have glossed it over had I not wandered back out to the lot and checked the sticker price against the four-square sheet that they were writing all over. When I questioned as to "Why the car was $3000 over the sticker," I got the "Surcharge" (i.e. Special price or Because we can) story. The interest rate also had to be a point of contention as well. Had I not known the AAA or Credit Union's current rates I might have been taken there as well (they were about 0.5% higher in the end, but maybe 4-5% higher to begin with!).

Fwiw, I took my laptop with a financial program into one dealer (Hunter Dodge in Lancaster) when I was looking at a Dodge pickup and was more than shocked when their quoted 5% on paper turned out to be 13%. Seems we didn't match numbers on anything and I basically got run off by the "man behind the desk" when questioning their interest rate figures. Salesman was all apologetic in the end and said he really cannot control what the "man behind the desk" does (this was one of those interenet special online quotes that went bad). Anyway, a good math rule to remember is $20 on every $1000 (e.g. loan for $20,000 should be around $400 or less). If their amounts are higher, then you're getting stung. There is no turning back in California once your signature hits that line. You agree to pay x-amount per month, even if they can go back and make your 3% loan number into a 13% (a little nail mark on the NCR paper - a trick I learned from one "honest" (??) dealership!!).

No doubt their finance manager will still work you over for some other options (insurance, service, etc.). They don't have the word "No" in their lexicon. This entire purchase game took around 3 1/2 hours. Least I didn't have any rubber hose marks on me when I left.

However, I did get stung for $500 over MSRP in the end and the financial manager finally gave up on his "other sales" as other victims, er, buyers were waiting and it was late. The trade-in was valued about $3000 less than what I could have sold it for, but it died on their lot and no way was it going to make it home. So I guess they made their $3000 back plus the $500 surcharge. Honestly, the trade-in price given ($500 for a '94 Saturn) was the same as I had gotten elsewhere and even one year prior. Seems trade-ins older than 4 years really take a hit. Dealers do not want them on their lots as they have too many problems with older trade-ins. They are sold out to auction houses as salvage vehicles. So the $500 I wasn't too shocked by, plus its timing chain was slapping badly, among other issues, once I got there and I feared the thing wouldn't make it back home. I may have gotten it for MSRP had I stuck to the plan, but it was late and I had to drive 100 miles home at 11 p.m. and I was worn down from the "game." Least they offer free refreshments.

That said, I least I got the car in the same day with the features I wanted and, for the most part, it has been trouble free (small niggles, but no big deal). My nearby dealer only had one wrong color in stock, black, and in 110 heat, "No way!" Frontier had a lot of Pri's in stock, maybe 25 or so on their parking deck, and it was around the time in August when gas was shooting upwards towards $3.75. Maybe now that it's down into the less than $2.50 range you might be able to avoid the "Because we can" fee. They do move a lot of them. My salesman said they were selling about 75 a month (high demand in August) so they get a large allotment from Toyota.

No experience with their service department...yet. I have had good experience with Steve via e-mail in their parts department though so I guess that is good. Oh, the salesman did contact me via phone about the Hybrid sticker HOV program as well so I guess that's another plus for them. Got the sticker. Just cannot bear plastering them on the car though.

Good luck. It's all one big shell game. I was in at 7:30 p.m. and out near 11 p.m. Test drive the one you want - maybe two if they have a matching pair. Look the exterior paint over closely for orange peel or defects - and take the better one (salesman actually pointed this out ot me on the other match - maybe another plus for them?). Anyhoo, they'll gas it up and wash it before you see it again after you finally emerge from their "Bowels of Hell" cubicle$. :twisted:

Have fun and post back as to how the "experience" went, 'kay? :?:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will let you know all as how it goes

I am not sure what Frontier dealer you dealt with but this is the dealer that I am dealing with. http://www.frontiertoyota.com/. They mentioned that they got the list of all the vehicle packages, colors and VIN numbers right now and I can make the booking to reserve it. He also mentioned that out of 14 vehicles that he is getting with different packages then this is the only one that I ordered which has package 8. If some body is interested then they too can order other Prius packages. I am not sure at this time if there is any politics involved but the sales man seemed to be honest so far. He also asked one of his sales man to take me Prius 2004 for a test drive which was also very nice experience for me. What I like about this dealer so far was he is still giving the vehicle at MSRP (atleast saying). I called couple of dealers to give me a call when 2006 models become available and so far got calls from 3 other dealers who are willing to give the same model for 3000 above sticker price or some other dealer adding some alloy wheel for 2400 extra which was not needed for me. I hope that this experience goes smooth for me and I will let all of you know how this goes and when I get the vehicle delivery I will also try to upload some pictures so that you can see 2006 features.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: Will let you know all as how it goes

mchinta said:
I am not sure what Frontier dealer you dealt with but this is the dealer that I am dealing with. http://www.frontiertoyota.com/.
Yep. That's them in Santa Clarita on the corner of Creekside Road. Check your final price line closely against the door sticker. They didn't say anything about that "Special charge." It -- the $3000 surcharge -- only appeared on the 4-square game sheet all dealers seem to use. Had I not seen it, I would have been stuck with it (unknowingly too, I might add as the salesman never really pointed it out, probably hoping I wouldn't see it). Everything was rolling smoothly until I spotted that one (and I wonder how many people don't?), and then higher interest rate numbers were another argument. Everytime the salesman went over to that "man behind the desk" on the east end of the salesroom floor it seemed to be to their advantage and yet another argument would ensure. Hold your ground even if it means you need to "Go home and think about it." They really don't like that line and will keep you in the hot-seat for hours. No wonder they got the President's Award (sales). Oh, I got the test ride too. No biggy as I had driven others, although the salesman incorrectly told me the Prius does not have spark plugs. Duh! It do too!

I should have been more suspicious than I was. Stupid me. I got the "Come on down. We got your car in stock and you can buy it tonight before someone else" ploy. It was too easy and it worked. If you drive 100 miles at night, they probably got you reeled in already as a serious buyer. There was a movie about car salesman that I watched before going. It really was a "head's up" as to all the games dealers play and some you can sit back and watch as the drama unfolds in their dealership.

In retrospect, I wish I had also gone to the other Toyota dealers nearby, either Hamer in Mission Hills or Northridge Toyota as well. However, it was late and I was stuck. If nothing more, just to check out the price game and their sales tactics. However, they may have not had that model in stock as Frontier moves a lot of product. You may have better luck now that Prius sales probably are down since gas prices fell and it may favor the buyer more. Also their year end sales numbers matter to corporate as the year ends so they may be more flexible.

Personally, I'd never put down deposit money sight unseen - but that's just me. Some seem to do that and then wait and wait. Plus, there's always that is it refundable or non-refundable deposit matter that may surface later on. I'm into that non-refundable issue with a mid-summer 2006 vehicle purchase now (Not Toyota, but a Yamaha motorcycle dealer). That non-refundable deposit on a special order bike (it's not s.o., just that they don't stock them normally) rubs me wrong for some reason. So they say....

Best wishes, keep one eye open on the paperwork, take some antacid, and good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Be careful with Frontier

I live near that dealer and visited them 3 times before buying at Ventura Toyota. Here's the deal. Frontier charges at least $3,000 over msrp. If you want a specific color they will call you and lie that your car is in. When you get there they say someone just bought it. Come on! Thenthey try to sell you something else. They would try to sell you a tricycle if it was on the lot. I know someone who stayed there dealing with them for 5 hours (until 12am). My suggestion is to call every dealer and ask for the fleet or Internet manager. Don't talk to sales guys. And the Frontier sales guys didn't know anything about the car. That's lazy. You should know what you are selling.

And what's up with half deposit? I placed a refundable $500 deposit. That's it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can only wait and see what happens with in next 2 weeks

Online members. Thanks for the warnings and advise on this dealer. I will be extra careful with this dealer's paperwork. Acutally he showed me the VIN number and completed all the paper work for this car in front of me. He told me sticker price on this car is 29,4xx (don't remember last two digits) plus CA state tax plus offered me windows tint for 399$ which I wanted for all inclusive rate of 32 thousand change. So in order to make sure that car is reserved for me I went ahead and paid 10 grand and he mentioned that car with this VIN number will be here in less than 2 weeks of time for delivery. I also put last 8 digits of the VIN number at the back of the check just as a proof as well.

He was also offering extended warranty on the car for about 1600 dollars for 6 years package which I called and cancelled after reading these remarks about this dealer. I can only wait and see what happens when I actually take the vehicle delivery. If he puts any hidden charges at the final moment then I will backout of this deal and probably go for any consumer court if he is not willing to return my money I guess. :roll:

Hopefully that never happens (praying) and keeping the spirits high. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well, your quote of $29,4xx doesn't look to be as bad as it could have been. From the link on the prices/colors/etc. of the 2006 on this site:
http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=5855&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
the base is $21,725 plus the option package #8 for $6,875 for total of $28,600. Looks like they may have backed off their $3000 "Special Fee" price a bit (when gas prices were peaking) and are now only charging $8xx for that "Special Fee." My hit from them was $500 after hours of haggling, not mentioning the sting of the trade-in which I was already prepared for anyway from other dealer trade-in quotes.

Your insurance quote of $1600 sounds about what they wanted from me as well. They had so many plans it gets messy keeping track. I may, if I keep the car three years, opt in elsewhere off this site for the $990 one at that time.

Here's to hoping the rest of the deal goes as well - and faster - and that you enjoy your new car. Oh, I envy your backup camera too. I've wished for that thing on many occassions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got my Prius Sea side pearl with package 8 yesterday

hi chat members,
I got my delivery of 2006 package 8 yesterday and I couldn't be more excited about this car. It is fully loaded with cool features and nothing interms of overpricing for the car happened at the dealer yesterday. He gave me that car for the sticker price of 29,459. If some body already didn't post the pictures of 2006 model then let me know and I will upload my 06 pictures tomorrow.

:D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Congratulations on the '06. It's a fun car to drive. :D

I made an online appointment with their service dept. for the 5000 miler in a couple of weeks. Their quote was $64.95. I'm interested to see how good they are and what all they'll do. I have the stuff to do it myself, but we'll be in the area that week and they said it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours at best. We'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
$64 for an oil change and tire rotation? And I thought my dealer was overpriced!

... Unless they include brake cleaning and adjustment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts