Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 5000 miles maintenance service, I have been noticing too many green bars at all times. The brake regeneration continues even when the gas pedal is not depressed when driving above 40 mph. Consumption continues at 50 miles per galon (plus or minus). If the brakes are getting more friction, that will produce more regeneration and more green bars as well.

Why this thing is happening?

Sometimes I wonder if Toyota Motor Co. programmed every event in this car every certain amount of miles and we just keep going crazy about the Prius behavior.

During my first 5000 miles I was fighting hard to get green bars. Now!!! I am getting to many. Maybe I have to claim to the Toyota Service Station the wrong doing in my first service. Maybe this car is just crazy.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Let the car take care of itself and pay no attention to the MFD. There is nothing you can do about anything you observe. It wasn't meant to be an energy instrument. The car works fine regardless of what you have been noticing.
My bars have been all green for several months. I would only be concerned if a strange odor occurs.
The MFD is a conversation piece. The car came with "zero" instruments, (and that includes the MFD) If something malfunctions you will be getting an "idiot light."

·
Registered
344 Posts
it's cold. you see more green bars when it's cold outside.

danman32 explained it really eloquently somewhere here, but i can't find it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
RM>> It's your magnetic personality being captured by your car.
Turn off the charm....... :lol:

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
JDavies said:
RM>> It's your magnetic personality being captured by your car.
Turn off the charm....... :lol:
Or , Rmarchena has mastered the elusive and hard to recreate. Pulse & Glide ! Thus he has harnessed the force to unleash in order to keep the SOC that no one else can....

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
In colder or hot conditions battery efficiency is significantly reduced. As such the vehicle does a couple things. I relies less on battery power for assisting the vehicle until the cabin and battery ambient temp have moved into a more efficient temperature range. On top of that the onboard logic is actively working to retain a higher state of charge on the battery when it is cold, to protect it from the effects of overdrain during cold weather.

As such I'm not at all surprised by the greater appearance of green bars. However I hover between 6 and 7 bars, which is not necessarily a significant diference to speak about.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
subjectivity versus objectivity

When I analyze your statements I try to counterbalance the sub.jects and ob.jects of your contents folks.

I get confused in choosing the veracity of your sources, among your knowlege, your experience, and your more than a hundred posts reputation.

After discriminating all your concepts, I understand the following:

The Prius applies the brakes by itself to regenerate more energy and loads it into the battery when it is could to protect it against drainage.

I said that every inch of a mile in the Prius is already anticipated to provide certain behavior by its computers that have macros progammed for that.

Question:

Subjectivity or Objetivity?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: subjectivity versus objectivity

Rmarchena said:

The Prius applies the brakes by itself to regenerate more energy and loads it into the battery when it is could to protect it against drainage.

Ummm, the Prius generates electricity to charge the battery by turning on one of the MG's as a generator. Has nothing to do with applying the brakes. Yes, the regen braking also uses the MG's as generator, but your confusing generating with braking.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The power-split device always transfers a percentage of torc from the engine to the MG. The percentage is fixed by the gear ratios involved.

When it's cold, air is more dense, so it takes more torc to move... Since the engine is delivering more torc, more torc is going to the MG, and you end up with a higher average SOC.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
You're talking about two different observations, and considering it as one event.

Yes, regen does occur under situations even when you are not pressing on the brake and not pressing on the accelerator when 'coasting'. This is the drag emulation so that the car will act like an ordinary automatic transmission that has to figh engine drag, which would slow down a vehicle faster than if it were in neutral. This shows up as green arrows from the wheels to the battery through the motor, which in this case represents MG2.

If by regen you are talking about yellow lines from the battery to the wheels, or the ICE to the wheels through the motor (which could represent MG1 and/or MG2 in this situation), then this is not regen at all, and is not measured as regen cars.

At times when MPG on the MFD seems lower than usual, eventually I sometimes do see green bars. Then the car starts to use ICE less to use up the excess charge. I don't know why it decides to do this. It could be that environmental conditions changed where the average required load is lower than what the car is expecting. I've seen this when I change gas stations or when I stop using AC/heat.

But green bars on the battery could be how the SOC is calculated. When the battery is warmer, it can hold more charge, so a specific charge is now a lower percentage than it would be if the battery were colder. Ever notice the air get more humid as the outdoor temp drops? The air has the same amount of water in it, but the amount of water the air can hold drops as the temp drops, so the relative humidity increases.
For the battery, this effect would more likely be observed as an appearance of loss of charge rather than an increase, as we usually warm up the battery as we drive, rather than cool it. Well, in the summer we may cool it down during operation as we use the AC.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Re: subjectivity versus objectivity

Rmarchena said:

When I analyze your statements I try to counterbalance the sub.jects and ob.jects of your contents folks.

I get confused in choosing the veracity of your sources, among your knowlege, your experience, and your more than a hundred posts reputation.

I said that every inch of a mile in the Prius is already anticipated to provide certain behavior by its computers that have macros progammed for that.

Question:

Are we applying these human traits to the car or to the owner. The car does teach us to be better drivers and we react to the car as though it is more than a mechanical device......Could Toyota be planning a worldwide brainwashing technique???? (love the dramatic!)

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Let me add that in cold weather while ICE is warming up the ICE coolant (and heater core if you are calling for cabin heat), it will use the excess ICE runtime and charge the battery, which could give you green. Better to have the ICE working hard to charge the battery while it warms things up, than working hard doing nothing at all while it warms up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Adding something too....

Adding something too....

Last year. On January, I did not have the same bars...!!!! I just had blue bars at all times.
More or less same temperature...!!! But different behavior....

Mister Dam, can you explain that?...Could you?

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Sometimes it do, sometimes it do not. That's just how it is. We can only guess and theorize from observations. I wouldn't worry about it.
Driving habits can also dictate green bars. If you were more agressive last year, you would have used the charge that would otherwise build up to green bars.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Rmarchena,
I see the green bars quite frequently, especially when I am on a decending clover leaf! Then I see no arrows and all but the last green bar at the top, as I am increasing speed!! I let her run the coverleaf, and enioy the extra bars at the bottom!! :)

I am able to get green bars on a few slight downhill areas on my way to work on Rt 206 between Vincentown and Trenton. It is really amazing how you can re-learn a road and start seeing all the changes in elevation in it over a distance.. :shock:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Rmarchena,
I see the green bars quite frequently, especially when I am on a decending clover leaf! Then I see no arrows and all but the last green bar at the top, as I am increasing speed!! I let her run the coverleaf, and enioy the extra bars at the bottom!! :)

I am able to get green bars on a few slight downhill areas on my way to work on Rt 206 between Vincentown and Trenton. It is really amazing how you can re-learn a road and start seeing all the changes in elevation in it over a distance.. :shock:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nope, everyone else is missing the point.
Toyota built a special one-off ECU code release,
just for you. Just snug up that tinfoil hat and
drive it.
_H*

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Re: Brake Pad's Life?

Rmarchena said:
Brake Pad's Life?

When do I have to replace the brake's pads?
Exactly the same as any other car... you replace them....wait for it... when they wear out! rat-a-tat-tat-ting!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts