Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been looking at the Prius as a company vehicle for a few months now. I finally called the dealer today to find out about the 2004 models, and he told me a could probably get one in March. That's going to be way too long to wait, so I may ending up getting into a 2003 he's still got on the lot. Anybody know if they are coming down on the price of the old models with all the hype and excitement for the new model?

·
Registered
3 Posts
for what it's worth...

i had a dealer tell me something similar originally, but then he's offered me two separate cars over the past two weeks, no wait. granted they sold after i turned him down (i'm waiting for crash tests and at least one year of feedback from other owners and/or for other hybrid options to come out), but i'm guessing you'll be able to find a car sooner if you want it. others have reported immediate availability as well. one trick might be to look in less populated areas. for example, i'm in utah. almost any time there's a big waiting list for the new "it" car in california, you can walk onto a lot here and buy it without waiting. ymmv.

good luck.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I was told by a Toyota dealer that there was a Toyota memo out declaring that there were 6 orders for every available Prius. I was also told that I was on "the list" early enough to probably get a car within 6 months. Folks getting on recently might have to wait for the '05 build.

Is this BS or what? IF there is THAT much demand why do you suppose Toyota wouldn't be running an additional shift to build them and get the $. Surely fickle "instant gratification" Americans would just go elsewhere rather than wait 6 months or longer.

I am hard over for accessory package #9 and it seems to be in the shortest supply. Accessory package #9 is what Toyota sends out to dealers in their "rental scam" to attract orders but then can't supply the same thing to a prospective buyer. Of course the rental car can be sold after 90 days or whatever but I've seen the way they are test drove at max acceleration with a cold engine and panic stopped from 70MPH on new brakes so I don't think I would want one broken in (up?) like that.

I have driven both the '03 and the '04. If the '04 was just a year newer '03 I would consider a Civic hybrid. the '04 is clearly superior. It is larger and more comfortable with slightly better perforance and better mileage (claimed). The lift back with folding rear seats is way more versitile than thte '03. I had no interest in buying an '03 but am very frustrated that I can't get an '04 with the option package I want.

Sign me frustrated,

Patrick

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am in a similar situation. The six month wait. I prefer to wait. I tend to own cars at least six or seven years. What is another six months? Would rather wait then get a car I am not totally psyched about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe that you'll find that your wait is greatly affected by what region you live in, what option package you want, and how flexible you are with regards to the choice of color and options. If you happen to live in one of the regions that isn't getting very many cars AND you are very specific about the car that you want, then your wait may be very long. But if you live in one of the regions getting more cars and you are willing to be flexible when it comes to colors or options, then there are cars out there. Keep your eye on some of these boards and the yahoo list to see where some of them might be. Good luck! The wait is definitely worth it!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts