Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in VA, and I have the choice to drive in the HOV lanes with my prius if I want. (Well I can't yet, I am waiting for my Clean Fuel tags. I have already had one HOV violation ticket from when I first moved to VA, I am being paranoid.)

If I use the HOV lanes I will spend less time commuting, however if I sit in traffic I will use less gas. Sitting in traffic I average between 75 and 100 mpg because I am using mostly the electric engine. Thoughts?

This brings up another argument: What is the purpose of HOV lanes? To reduce the amount of traffic, or to improve environment conditions through reducing emissions?

John

·
Registered
928 Posts
Since "the purpose of a system is what it does", I would say the purpose of HOV lanes is revenue enhancement. :p

And of course, the original purpose for building them is political cover.

Robert Snyder
The Dark Side of NJ-PIKACHU

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I think you should use them if you are legally allowed to do so, and if it pleases you to do so. If you prefer to not use them, then stay in the local lanes, and get your higher mileage. If you choose to use them to save time, then enjoy it while it lasts...because it won't last forever; it can't last forever.

You see, I believe that eventually there will be too many hybrids on the road to justify allowing them to use the HOV lanes without more than one person in each car. The HOV road capacity in most cities is simply too small for long-term use (and the growth we all hope for in number of hybrid cars and drivers) in this way.

So eventually, HOV use will once again be restricted to High Occupancy Vehicles.

So for now, use them if you like....or don't. Whatever you want, and whatever you're legally allowed to do.

·
Registered
623 Posts
HydroWVU, you don't say what your mileage is in the HOV lane. If it was me I'd use the HOV lane because I'd rather get where I'm going than sit in traffic breathing the other cars' exhaust fumes. Of course, for other folks, high-mileage bragging rights and reducing fuel consumption are more important than getting somewhere fast. (And the bottom line for me is I would not want to live anywhere so over-crowded that HOV lanes even become an issue. - I get the lowest mileage, and burn the least gas of anyone on these boards, because in Fargo nothing is ever more than 20 minutes away, and my daily commute is 10 minutes each way. My trips are always short because to make a long trip I'd have to keep driving back and forth.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts