Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some opinions.

I currently have an 02, which I love. I've always said I wouldn't trade it, even for the new model. Well, I may be changing my mind.

I've been looking, and figure I'd get a package 5, since I don't want HID, bluetooth for a non-phone user is silly, and NAV can be done cheaper with a Garmin unit.

As far as finances, I could swing the payment either way - it may even be a smaller payment with a new car!

If you were me, would you upgrade? If so, would you wait until the new year? The reason I ask about waiting is the new tax credit (IIRC) doesn't take effect until then.

The second part would be to trade in or sell my 02 myself. I'm in the middle of NC, but would be able to sell it in the DC area to move it quickly.

Thanks in advance for any advice or input.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I would buy the 06 and sell the 02 outright. I wouldn't trade it unless the dealer gives you a super deal. Just my personal thoughts...

·
Registered
249 Posts
I would not.

I would not buy now...

2006 will have just a little make up. It does not pay to buy it.
I would wait for 2007 with substantial mod's. I would not buy the same car again.....
But, it is up to you...I would sell you my 2005 now...if you want and I wait.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Get the 2006. You'll get a bigger tax credit.

Sell your 2002 yourself unless the dealer can give you a really great trade-in.

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
test drive or rent a 2004/2005. See what you like. You might love the 2004 (compact->midsize, now a hatchback, quieter/more acceleration), or you may prefer the seating and handling of your Classic.

(I wouldn't trade my 2001 for a 2004. there's no cargo barrier available for the 2004, so I'd stick with the sedan. I also like the tighter turn radius on my 2001. I don't quite "fit" as comfortably in my 2004 as I do in my 2001, and there's much more rearrangement needed to switch drivers between myself and my husband...)

It's probalby easier to do a trade-in, but you'll probably get more if you do a private sale.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I upgraded mostly because I'm a musician and I had quite a bit of difficulty fitting my keyboard into the backseat of the classic Prius, which I had to do since there was nowhere near enough trunk space. There were a few minor scratches on the vinyl of the inside doors because of that problem, which reduced my trade-in value. But I needed the larger cargo space. So far I've not regretted it.

I'd only recommend the upgrade if you really feel you need more cargo space or something larger than a compact car...remember, you won't be able to fit so well into compact spaces with the 2004 model. Theres absolutely nothing wrong with classic Prii, in my book.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts