Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to be some availablity of priuses in my area.

Right now I have a 2003 f-150 supercrew. 55000.00 miles, pay off $12,000.00. Trade in value, by interent calculator seems to be 18,000.00. I anticipate less than that on the trade in, just to be realistic. Got two more years of payments. Guess mileage to be average 15 miles to gallon city, hwy combined.

Also its very hot here, how is the AC, and what effect doe sit have on mileage?

I am fascinated with the technology of the prius. Just dont know if I want to have a car payment for another 5 years.

I am hoping to get a cheaper payment, and also the savings on gas would make sense.

What kind of interest is Toyota charging on the financing.

wondering should I prius or not? Really want to go down and get me one right now, but dont want to make a stupid financial decision.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Truck to Prius? Is the truck just a commuter/family car? Load carrying is limited and the ground clearance is nil.

A/C works great, better with a ilttle more fan actin than Auto provides, so I hit it up manually. MPG hit is 2-3 MPG depending on how hot and humid it is, since the compressor has more than one speed.

Good credit gets you about a 4% loan; Toyota isn't always the lowest, try a credit union.

Opinion on MPG payback seems to hover around the 100K mile mark.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I leave my Air Conditioner on almost all the time (set at a constant 73 degrees) My mileage is probably being effected negatively, but I am averaging around 49 - 50mpg so I am not worried about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses.

Truck is mainly commuter, like the rugged suspensions, cause the city streets are murder on a car suspension. I drive aprox 15-16 k miles a year. Dont need a truck, and have can borrow one if I really need one.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I agree with previous posts. AC does drop my mpg-- no 50 for me yet-- 4.2% financing is what I received, and I too had Jeep mpg of 11!!! Trade in was worth it for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I traded my mustang 2003 for prius 3 wks ago. Did I have a hard time deciding whether or not to get rid of my mustang? Nah.. because I'm tired of refueling every 4-5 days and it costs me 28-32 dollars each time. And don't forget oil change every 3k and so forth.

Now with Prius, I reckon, it was the best choice. I only pumped gas once (first time was 15th day after got prius). So I would say about average of each 15th day I will need to refuel and it costs me only 22 dollars.

I have to make payments more on prius than I had on mustang but lower insurance prieium and better gas so that saves you more money in long run.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I was going to ask about your driving pattern, as short trips will give very low mileage, at least to our standards! :)
But even then, during the 5 minute warmup phase, you're usually doing as good or better than a good subcompact car, and certainly much better than the truck.

So, if you are looking to upgrade anyway, GO FOR IT!

For me, I would have rather had my Saturn a little longer so that I could have had it paid off. It was totalled, and what the insurances (mine and the guy at fault) both produced a market value much lower than I expected, which put me upside down, so I am STILL paying that off. Fortunately for you, even the trade-in value puts you ahead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts