Toyota Prius Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You should have a black & white sticker on the door jamb of your drivers side front door. The first line should say "MFD BY : TOYOTA......MM/YY
where MM is two digit month & YY last two digits of year.

There are some threads going around the site that say the 10th digit of VIN # is the last digit of year mftd. I question that. My 10th digit is "4". My P* is a 2004 but was mftd on 10/03 (according to door sticker), and I took delivery in Nov 03...which of course means it could not have been mftd in "4".

Could it be different in US vs other regions ?? :roll: Dont know. A lot of the 10th digit discussion was in UK.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 10th digit is the Model year, not the Manufactured year. Therefore, the '4' is for your 2004 Prius.

Go to

http://www.vfaq.net

and click on the 'miscellaneous' FAQ tab for more info on the VIN breakdown of digits.[/url]

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
assuming that the country that assigned the VIN was following the standard... North American cars will have the 10th digit as the model year (not the year of manufacture), but some places in Europe will just put a 0 as a placeholder, or drop the digit entirely. It's been discussed a bit on the Prius-Europe yahoogroup, and I think maybe Prius-UK.

The more interesting thing is that according to the US TSB EG025-05, some 2005 Priusares now produced in a different assembly plant line! Check position 11 in the VIN: A 3 represents the Tsutsumi plant (in Japan,
that we already knew about), and a 7 represents Toyota Auto Body, where-
ever that is (still starts with a J for Japan, but...)...

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks mrv & guffman, that answers the question on digit 10 !!

an alternate assembly plant ?? maybe the Kawai Piano plant ? :D (they make good stuff, too)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Toyota Auto Body

mrv wrote:
Toyota Auto Body (wherever that is)
Wherever, indeed. The article
http://www.ai-online.com/issues/article ... asp?id=130
lists three plants for Toyota Auto Body in the 2002 Output By Plants table.

The text in blue below that table is a learning experience. Many Toyota subcontractors are listed.

Your Prius was made by plants! How green is that?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Hmm, mine says 0 not 3 after the "5" for 2005.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts