Toyota Prius Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to apologize because I know this question has been on the forum many times.

I am about due for some new tires. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Stan, let me recommend the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred. Good tire with good wear and handling. Seems to smooth out the road without taking a big toll on mpg.

I have no financial interest in making this recommendation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tires

Here is a cross-post from elsewere on prius on-line:

I live in Colorado. Last night I had a set of 4 goodyear Tripletred tires installed.

Coincidentially, we had combo rain/snow/freezing weather last night in the Denver Metro Area and the roads were very hazardous. (5 roll overs and many pile-ups were reported on I 70 alone on traffic radio reports this AM!). Anyway, the Tripletreds held onto the road like glue compared to the OEM Goodyear Integras that I had replaced.

I see Michlin's Hydroedge is a popular tire in this form. If you look at the tread design on the Hydroedge and the Tripletred, they look similar except that the Tripletred tread is has a more sculpted appearance whereas the HydroEdge surface appears more regluar and smooth. I am not sure how these tire's performances compare, but my expereince today with the TripleTred was very, very reassuring.

BTW, the HydroEdge's consumer ratings on Tire Rack's web site is rated 2nd out of 30 tires in its class. The Tripletred's rate 1 of 30.

One more thing. I had to install 195/60/ 15 tires as the Triple tread does not come in the oem size of 185/65/15 tires. The Diameter is within 1% of the OEM tire (within normal tread wear differences), but it is somewhere between 1/4-1/2" wider on the pavement which should increase performance, but possible decrease MPG slightly.

Oops, one more, one more thing: I ended up paying $94 each for these tires plus about $10 install and balancing at a goodyear center. The price varied as much as $30 per tire depending upon which tire store I called. The Goodyear dealer immediate lowered his asking price to a "sale" price of $94 (down from $114) when I simply asked if there was a price break for buying a set of 4 tires.

trey.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So here's an interesting problem.....

I went over to my tire shop and asked for a price quote on the Tripletred. Well, they started and insisted not to get the Tripletred because I well suffer 30% drop on the MPG.

I said what, are you kidding, you might get 1 ro 2 mpg hit not 30% and bear in mind this is a Good Year dealer, hum.. He also stated that a number of clients that the tires installed and yank them becaused of theabove. Well another problem came about, he finally quoted $105 and I was kind shocked, I told him tire-rack had them about $69 no tax and it would cost me about $12 to mount them. He stated that the Tripletred (Originals) had issues and were change due to a manufacturing defect, and reissue to the market again. That tire-rack might be selling the original tires that came into the market.

I called several other Good Year shops and they had the same story line. So guys and ladies what are your thoughts…..

I’m going around taking a look at the Michelin Hydro Edge and see the price on them.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
"He stated that the Tripletred (Originals) had issues and were change due to a manufacturing defect, and reissue to the market again."

Maybe this "story" could be checked with corporate offices for Good Year. Smells kinda fishy.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've had 195/65R15 TripleTred tires since Thursday, and while the MPGs have dropped a bit (not 30% yet) and the car doesn't roll as freely anymore in places where gravity is enough to pull me along, I find the lack of slippage in the rain comforting...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Plan on about 1,500 miles of driving before the tires will be broken-in enough for you to get a feel for what they're really like.

Brand new, they have very precise micro-edges that grab onto everything, causing an amplified MPG loss. Using a manifying-glass, you'll be able to see a tiny amount of edge rounding that will coincide with a small MPG improvement.

However, those tires will never be as efficient as the originals... due to the size difference and the higher traction rubber & tread.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought my Prius last thursday. I read on tirerack.com (and another site I now can't remember) owner's comments on the GoodYear Integrity for Prius' and other make cars and saw the very unfavorable comments re traction. I had also noted a problem with me keeping the Prius going straight - had to constantly correct direction.

I had Michelin Harmony tires installed on Friday based on rating and price shown on tirerack. The ride quality has improved, noise is less, handling is better, but I think gas mileage has decreased about 2 - 3 mpg. I can't say for sure, because I was not concentrating on just the mpg as I was test driving the car, and can't exactly duplicate the previous trip.

I also read (after I bought the Harmonys) that if you buy Michelins, buy tires labeled Energy, as they have less rolling resistance and will give better mpg.

I am very happy with my Harmonys, and will give up 2-3 mpg for the superior wet/snow traction, ride, and handling improvements I now have. They just make me love my Prius even more!! :D

Don

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tires

Just got the Goodyear Comfortreads. After 500 miles, I just decided I didn't like the handling of the OEM Integrity tires. Must admit it's like nite and day. These new tires are so very quiet! It's like a new car...and so smooth over bumps now. Glad I read this string for advice

·
Registered
236 Posts
Go to a Toyota dealer at night and usually at the back of the lot they have the new arrival vehicles that are still under the white transfer protectant plastic wrapping. Find a new Prius... Jack up one side, take off the tires, put on old tires. Jack up other side, put take off tires, put on old tires.

There you go. :)

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I guess from posts it's got to be a mental thing. I can't compare as I have my original tires which have given me more than a year of silent and safe running. P6NADON bought his car last Thursday and has already switched tires as he was not satisfied with the Integrities and he has also noticed an increase in performance and a decrease in gas milage. All since, last Thursday. Gotta be the power of "print"
Goodyears print states they have tires better for all situations and points to printed evidence. So does Michelin, Goodrich, Cooper, and three thousand Japanese and Korean makes.
Let your imagination go wild if your pockets are deep enough!

·
Registered
319 Posts
The skidding on wet roads, and traction control issues on dry ones, are not something I imagined.

Lack of those issues with the new TripleTreds is also not just in my head.

If you've managed to avoid them by careful application of the accelerator pedal in every possible situation, bully for you...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mental??

I think it always comes down to each his own. I know my Prius now rides smoother and quieter with these new tires. I hate to take tires off a new car, but the fact is Toyota put some pretty crappy OEM tires on the car. Goodyear Integrity are mid to low end.

As always...to each his own.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
You have to stand back and take a darn good look at the Prius and remember that Toyota felt it would sell only in the low twenty thousand "niche." Since the hybrid unit has been posted to cost a little over six thousand dollars more than the equivalent H.P. internal combustion engine the savings had to be made somewhere. Tires, seats, hardware, wheel adjustment, ect: ... All the stuff we have to sacrifice to drive "the future," at an affordable price. You really have to commend them for retaining the enviremental aspect of the engine. They could have cut a lot there and still met the California standards.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts